We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atlanta to Key West this Spring

Irvine, CA
Level Contributor
13 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Atlanta to Key West this Spring

I'm planning to visit Georgia and Florida for the first time. I'd like to fly into Atlanta and drive south as far as Key West, then fly home through Ft. Lauderdale. Any tips along the way? How many days should I allow in Atlanta, Orlando, around Miami, Key West? Thanks for any suggestions you have.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Atlanta to Key West this Spring

How many days in each place would really depend to a large part on what your interests are.

What I might suggest is you search each of those forums to get an idea of what other people have done. I am going to Key West and Miami in a couple of months - we decided on 2 nights Miami and 3 in Key West I think, but we are also doing a night in Florida City (for the everglades) and 2 nights in the middle keys (for more a relaxing time).

ktown

Fort Pierce, Florida
Level Contributor
11 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Atlanta to Key West this Spring

Haven't been to Miami, but having been to Key West at least twice a year for the last four or five years, I reccomend a MINIMUM of three days. There is a lot to do/see. It may be small in area, but there is a lot of history, things to do and sightseeing. This trip I came down planning on three days but when I leave tomorrow, it will be a week! Depending on your tastes in travelling, you could spend from two to three days in Orlando or up to two to three weeks. The Disney complex could take a week alone if you want to do everything. If you're picking and choosing on the Disney stuff, plan a day at each one you visit. And by the way, driving to Key West is the only way to go. The drive down alone is worth the whole trip.

Irvine, CA
Level Contributor
13 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Atlanta to Key West this Spring

Thanks for your great suggestions. I've come to the conclusion that I'm trying to do too much in one trip, so I've decided to spend a week in Atlanta and save Florida for next time.

Fort Pierce, Florida
Level Contributor
11 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Atlanta to Key West this Spring

Certainly hope you enjoy yourself. Post again when you do Florida, I may have suggestions for you.

Waupaca, WI
Destination Expert
for Gay Travel
Level Contributor
615 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Atlanta to Key West this Spring

I think this will be a fun trip. the drive to the keys is boring but driving in the Keys is a delight and a must do. Depending on what you like to do in Atlanta, you can stay 1-2 days or longer. the midtown area is great in the spring with Piedmont Park as the anchor, there's lots of outdoor activities. I agree with other posters that key west is minimum 3 days. fort Lauderdale is also great and you should plan time there and not just view it as a departure city. All three places are rich with outdoor activities, history and gay venues. Have fun.

6. Re: Atlanta to Key West this Spring

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2013, 10:17
Get answers to your questions