We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Francisco?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
San Francisco?

I'm heading to SF in november over the Weekend. Where might the best/safest places to stay be as well as what are the best places to visit on scene?

Waupaca, WI
Destination Expert
for Gay Travel
Level Contributor
625 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Francisco?

You may want to ask in the SF forum. Union Square is centrally located and there are plenty of Hotel options. like any big city, safety is up th the traveler to be aware of ones surroundings and to be prudent.

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
39 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Francisco?

I have always stayed in Union Square. It is somewhat centrally located. There are many places to caught public transit off Powell Street. If you are looking to be in the middle of "the scene", you need to stay in the Castro. Be advised, you are going to pay a lot more to be in that area.

I agree that safety is up to the traveler. Just know what areas not to go to, especially at night, and be aware of your surroundings. Try not to look like a tourist; walking around looking lost. South of Market and Tenderloin District can both be dangerous at night.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: San Francisco?

Hi Brandon,

CUTiger81 is spot on. While super touristy, Union Square is where all of the hotels (and shopping) can be found. South of Market (SoMa) and the Tenderloin/Civic Center neighborhoods are also scary after dark by yourself. (That said, there are some fun places to go out in SoMa, but I recommend traveling in a group.)

For going out at night, you'll want to head to the Castro. There are a ton of bars around there, either on Castro St. & 18th St., and on Market between Castro & Church St. Here are my faves:

* Hi Tops - don't let the "sports bar" theme fool you, this is the #1 place to go right now

* Blackbird - excellent cocktails

* Toad Hall - very fun bar, has a small dance floor and outdoor area

* QBar - haven't gone in a long time, but this should be on your list, small but can be fun

* the Mix - more for locals and a bit run-down but has an outdoor patio in the back, cheap drinks

* Moby Dick's - more of a local bar, very small

You'll also want to add "the Cafe" and Badlands to your list as they have the only dance floors in the Castro, aside from Toad Hall. The usual schedule is to head over to the Cafe on Friday nights for "Boy Bar" (go-go dancers), and Badlands on a Saturday night is always packed.

Feel free to message me if you have more questions.

Best,

-Matt

San Francisco...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: San Francisco?

As others mentioned, Tenderloin/Civic Center is not a good neighborhood. Union Square is very central but borders Tenderloin. Check out North Beach (touristy), Marina(young/preppy), or Castro (LGBT-friendly) neighborhoods as well. Pretty safe and lots of activities there.

Try www.RippleAway.com. Enter the address of the hotel or the place you are staying at, it shows neighborhood information and ratings on safety, nightlife, food, transit, and shopping.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
1,468 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Francisco?

Golden bridge

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
1,468 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Francisco?

Golden gate bridge i mean

7. Re: San Francisco?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2014, 11:39
8. Re: San Francisco?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2014, 06:21
Get answers to your questions