We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Checking Into Company Paid Hotel

3 posts
Save Topic
Checking Into Company Paid Hotel

So my company is booking a hotel in Vegas for one night for a meeting I have. I do not have a company credit card, they are booking everything in house here. Will I need my own personal credit card when checking in or will everything just be billed to the company card? Usually when checking in, don't you have to physically have the card the room was booking on?

14 replies to this topic
Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
10,015 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Checking Into Company Paid Hotel

It depends on the hotel and how the room was booked. If the booking was "room only", then yes, you will need your card there too, in case you decide to raid the minibar or have a bevy of showgirls up to your room.. Take it anyway.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,440 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Checking Into Company Paid Hotel

Comprehensively and perfectly covered by the post from Geo.

>>>Usually when checking in, don't you have to physically have the card the room was booking on?<<<

No. It's called a Chargeback and may not involve a credit card at all. It can be billed later if the company has had prior history and established line of credit with that hotel. But as Geo explained, it depends on the conditions attached to the Chargeback. You can ask your work also, as to what is included

Edited: 18 July 2017, 04:03
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Checking Into Company Paid Hotel

I'm going with my boss who made the reservation with his company card. I wouldn't think I have to provide a separate personal card even if he booked two rooms.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,440 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Checking Into Company Paid Hotel

Whilst this may not apply, I'd still make sure what your boss is actually covering (the company card may cover room charges but not incidentals), and have additional finances - it may very well prevent an awkward situation at checkin.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
18,138 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Checking Into Company Paid Hotel

"Hey Boss: Just checking to make sure that you are covering all room expenses on our trip together? I know you made the reservation against your credit card, but are you also covering all room charges and incidentals, too?"

I mean, how hard is that?

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
67,831 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Checking Into Company Paid Hotel

When I was travelling with colleagues, I used to make it clear that the room charges and breakfast were the only things that would be covered by the company at the hotel. Other claims had to be made through the usual internal processes. However, if we were doing something like eating dinner together, I did have the authority to charge that on the company card.

At check in, I never knew of anyone being asked for their own credit card, but then we were a very established company that booked quite a lot of accommodation, usually through a dedicated business travel agent.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,440 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Checking Into Company Paid Hotel

>>>we were a very established company that booked quite a lot of accommodation, usually through a dedicated business travel agent<<<

That is one such example of a Chargeback, being a Chargeback to an agent. The other common one is a Chargeback to the company.

Even with a Chargeback, depending on the hotel and what is covered, a method of security may still be required - as originally mentioned by Geo.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
13,725 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Checking Into Company Paid Hotel

It is quite common for us and staff to check into multiple rooms in same hotel, all bills ended up on one card, my card. Others also have company credit cards, but one person generally handles all rooms.

Once I was a bit upset that my staff got the Las Vegas corner suite with jacuzzi, while me the boss got a regular room, I was paying for many rooms. I still remember it to this date.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
67,831 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Checking Into Company Paid Hotel

Come to think of it, I still travel three or four times a year all expenses paid in the UK for a charity I'm involved in. At least one of those trips will involve an ovenright stay for a number of people all booked by the charity.

I've never been asked for a credit card on check in, presumably because it's all been arranged by the company for any charges to go to them via their credit card. As it's a charity I have no intention of charging anything to them that hasn't been authorised by whoever has organised the meetings, and no doubt my colleagues feel the same.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,440 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Checking Into Company Paid Hotel

>>>Once I was a bit upset that my staff got the Las Vegas corner suite with jacuzzi, while me the boss got a regular room, I was paying for many rooms<<<

Interesting aspect of a group staying from the same company. I think cultural norm/sensitivity plays a role in how effective this is handled. Some regions (many Asian countries do this particularly well) handle this better than others - making appropriate enquiries to ensure positional hierarchy is observed.

Reply to: Checking Into Company Paid Hotel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted