We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

KLM Enough is enough

Glasgow
Level Contributor
588 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
KLM Enough is enough

I have been platinum for life for some time with KLM

The service on board is IMO sub standard however I was happy enough with the prices and had an addiction to the air miles.

I was looking forward to the new seats however I doubt very much I will even bother trying them now.

Why?

The prices are shocking.

I have just been quoted 5800 GBP from Glasgow in to HK and then Singapore back to Glasgow.

Compare this with flights on the same days at similar times with Emirates costing 2400 GBP

And with Emirates I wont get the famous KLM attitude.

how do they begin to work out these prices?

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,425 posts
474 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: KLM Enough is enough

So what you are writing, if I understand correctly, is that you don't have a problem with the quality of KLM services (which is in my view good), but rather with the price. Now prices are the result of demand and offer. It is particularly true on destinations such as HKG with often full flights from Europe. More than once I didn't fly on my company of choice (BA) because of prices and had to fly with a competitor. Meanwhile, since EK is less worried with the idea to be profitable, you can sometimes find a good deal.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
588 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: KLM Enough is enough

Well as it happens I do have an issue with the KLM service and now the price you pay for it.

Prices 18 months ago were comparable with Emarites even if the service wasnt.

The good old miles addiction kept me going back.

But not any more.

To say the price is demand based while possibly true is quite shocking and how airlines get away with the variation is beyond me.

If I take a bus from A to B on a Monday for 10 euros it will be a similar (probably the exact same) the following week.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,425 posts
474 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: KLM Enough is enough

Bus -> Fixed fare, often controlled by the municipality

Plane -> Market price

So if KLM can charge more, it is because clients are on average valuing their services more... Q.E.D.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
588 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: KLM Enough is enough

Valuing or putting up with?

to be charging 4000 GBP 1 way Singapore to the UK is shocking......

But yes they will get it as its company money for the most part.

The market has raised the bar on these prices way to much and it needs some sort of intervention and control.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,425 posts
474 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: KLM Enough is enough

I think flights from Europe to HKG are pretty much all full, notably in business as many like to do it in one flight (instead of the 7+7 from UK via the Middle East). And many like their miles... The elasticity will depend on the market.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: KLM Enough is enough

I disagree, KLM ticket prices are very competitive compare to the substandard BA or other European airlines. I like their economy seats and ample leg space. The cabin crews were pretty attentive too despite the fact KLM is not known for their on board catering

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,267 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: KLM Enough is enough

BA substandard?

Really? I think their product for the fares in general, is extremely competitive, and are my preferred carrier intra-Europe.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,382 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: KLM Enough is enough

I don't think BA is substandard either. They are really just like any other big carriers.

I haven't flown KLM in a lot of years. However, do they still use equipment with shared TV in economy? My friend flew them about 4-5 years ago. When most major carriers had PTV's installed (not to mention AVOD) already, KLM still had shared TV.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: KLM Enough is enough

Nope KLM has refurnished their so called shared TV fleets. BA is substandard in my books

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,425 posts
474 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: KLM Enough is enough

No, BA is not substandard. They still offer the best long haul business class product among European airlines, and LHR T5 is still the best hub in Europe. In economy, differences are tiny as long all seats have individual IFE (1" more or less for seat width and pitch). At the end of the day any way, most of the purchases in economy are done on a price basis...

Get answers to your questions