We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Response times to e-mail queries

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Response times to e-mail queries

This morning I sent two emails, one to Holiday Inn in Hong Kong and one to Cosmopoltan Hotel Hong King, asking a couple of simple questions.

Within 15 mins, I had a reply from both. The Cosmopoltan's reply was a full reply from a real person, telling me all I need to know. The reply from the HI was an automated response from a centralised mailbox telling me that somebody will reply to my query within 10 working days !

Edited: 19 October 2013, 13:00
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,550 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Hotel Response times to e-mail queries

Yes, we ALL work for IHG, and United, and Travel Republic, and CheapoAir, and any company that a poster has issues with - in fact we ALL work so much that we don't have time for our personal lives.

That's your best response? To accuse someone of being a company shill. A quick look at KVE's history would refute that very quickly.

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Hotel Response times to e-mail queries

Yes it is my perogative and it is also my perogative to voice my opinions on this matter.

I may also have you know that I have been a member of TA for nearly 10 years now and at one time was a DE for, yes you may have guessed it, for Hong Kong.

What you have completely failed to understand is that the point that I was making was that in my opinion, a reply, be it from a generic, centralised mailbox or wherever, that states that a proper answer to the query raised will be be sent to me within 10 days. That is what I, as a consumer, find unacceptable.

You may feel otherwise, and you are welcome to air your opinion. As you say, maybe it is best left at that and may I thank you for your contribution to this thread.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,285 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Hotel Response times to e-mail queries

>>>I may also have you know that I have been a member of TA for nearly 10 years now and at one time was a DE for, yes you may have guessed it, for Hong Kong<<<

If that is the case, why would you need to email a hotel to find out what transport options there are from the airport at 230am?

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Hotel Response times to e-mail queries

Ok - lets see if this makes it easier for you to understand.

Say, for example, you needed to use a new feature on your television. You had read through all the manuals but cannot find the answer to your query, so you send an email to the maker of the televsion. You then receive a reply from the them telling you exactly what to do - thats great, job done.

However, the set upstairs is a different make, so you send an email to that manufacturer, and you then receive a reply from their generic call centre, telling you that your query will be dealt within 10 days. Would this reply satisfy you, would you be happy with it

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,285 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Hotel Response times to e-mail queries

Read back this entire thread. Can you see one comment where anyone has stated that its satisfactory? No. It seems quite clear that you're making a very big deal out of something that hasn't occurred.

And I ask again, if you were the DE for Hong Kong, why the need to email the hotel? You should already know this information.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,285 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Hotel Response times to e-mail queries

Perhaps what I'm not understanding is the purpose of this thread, beyond receiving an unsatisfactory response from an automated reply on an email.

Was it to prove that one particular Holiday Inn has a bad company vision statement? Was it to prove that the Cosmopolitan's email reply service is superior to the Holiday Inn? Was it merely a narrow spectrum gauge of hotel responses to a single email? I can't say with certainty.

However, if your reason for the post is fulfilled by one of us responding "yes, it's unsatisfactory" and that gives you some closure on the matter, I'm happy to take one for the team and say that it's not satisfactory - if it were to take that long. However, for the most part - and this is entirely an assumption - the well travelled contributors of this Business Travel forum, would see to it, that they find an alternative method of contacting the hotel in question, or simply opt for a different hotel. Not sit and dwell an email response, to the point of it necessitating a thread. But that's just my view.

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Hotel Response times to e-mail queries

in reply to your question #15

No I dont happen to know the information about the shuttle bus timetable during the night, I dobt that many DE's would. That was the reason for my email

The purpose of this thread, is to highlight the poor concept of customer service exhibitted by this particular hotel group - nothing more, nothing less

Edited: 08 October 2013, 07:27
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,285 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Hotel Response times to e-mail queries

That's fair enough.

It was a bad assumption on my part, based on my experience of the destination forums, and of my local city, where I'd say every second person would be able to provide information on transport options from both our airports at anytime of day.

Exhibited by that particular hotel, as we haven't established where you sent the email. But point taken.

Edited: 08 October 2013, 08:09
Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
5,771 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Hotel Response times to e-mail queries

I agree, 10 days to answer a query is absolutely rediculous in the service industry. I wonder why so many people with high post numbers seem to give a "snippy" answer. I mean, noone needs to respond to anyones post. I am in complete agreement with the OP.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,550 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Hotel Response times to e-mail queries

I personally don't believe my responses were "snippy" at all. The OP finally, after many posts, shared the intent of the thread in the response #17 and it's fair. My assessment of the other responses were just that many customer service emails that do not go directly to someone's email box, go into a central "customer service" box first or are filtered upfront. Maybe that's what happened here and maybe not. If I truly want the most direct response from a hotel, I call them.