We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athens taxi scam....beware

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
1 post
37 reviews
Save Topic
Athens taxi scam....beware

Hi, first time in Greece and whilst I appreciate their economy is on its knees I don't think that equals an excuse for taxi drivers to con and steal from passengers...

Got a taxi outside airport and everything was fine until it came to pay. He gave me a receipt as requested for 45 euros from airport to kifisia which I thought was on the high side but was ok. The meter had been on the right tariff etc.

So I got my wallet out and found my euros and gave him a 50

He then seemingly went to put it away and then turned back to me saying it was 45 euros in total and had a 10 in his hand. So, my natural reaction as an honest person was to apologise and got another 50 from my wallet and then take back the 10 from him.

I had been on a flight for 5 hours and have a head cold too so wasn't functioning at 100%.

It wasn't until I was standing at reception in the hotel thinking about the incident when I remembered that I had only changed the euros at the airport earlier and had asked for some small change for taxis. I remembered that out of the 200 euros that I had chAnged the man gave me 50x3, 20x2 and 5x2 so I never even had any 10 euro notes....!!!

So my 45 euro journey had cost me 90 euros...

I believe in karma so a dollop of that will get that taxi driver hopefully very soon... Has put me off Greece as it is my first time here and makes me be on guard now for everyone trying to rip me off which hopefully is wrong !!!

Thought I would share that tale with the wider audience so hopefully you will be mindful of this trick...

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
5,882 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Athens taxi scam....beware

Rogue taxi drivers exist all over the world! I am sorry you were ripped off, but how can you judge a whole country by one taxi driver? Did you enjoy your holiday? Did all greeks try and rip you off?

You should hear the stories I have heard about British Taxi drivers ripping people off, especially in London!

Edited: 21 October 2013, 00:32
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,018 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Athens taxi scam....beware

Sounds like you should have done some research BEFORE your trip...found this post in 2 clicks.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189400-i194-k4643…

As stated above, bad people are everywhere. TripAdvisor is a great source of information, when used before and during a trip to research a location.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Athens taxi scam....beware

Unfortunately believing in karma is not enough. You need to work on your mindfullness and awakefulness at all times. Illness and long flight being no excuse. Any Buddhist teacher will tell you that...

BTW, Kifisia is way outside the centre of Athens, the 35 euro fixed taxi fare from the Airport does not apply.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Athens taxi scam....beware

This just happened me literally a few minutes ago!

Despite being told at the airport the flat fee was 35 euros, the taxi driver at the airport said it would be 40 due to the "airport station." I went along with it and when I got to the hotel, I gave him a 50, he pretends to put it away and pulls out a 10. Very stupidly without thinking, I gave him another 50. In total, I lost 100 euros to this unscrupulous taxi driver. Needless to say, I'm extremely pissed about this incident and very disappointed in myself for not being more alert to his tricks. Definitely something to watch out for and be aware of.

5. Re: Athens taxi scam....beware

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2015, 07:19
Get answers to your questions