We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels.com....never again - Fraud

Kingston...
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels.com....never again - Fraud

Just a tip to NEVER use Hotels.com Their app and website system don't work and I got charged for a hotel that on my end never completed booking. They wouldn't own up or issue a refund.

I tried to book a hotel in Portland, ME using the APP. It never processed, never showed up in my Bookings and never got a confirmation email. So, I booked a different hotel in Portland, ME for the same night using Hotels.com. I showed up and used the hotel. I got charged for both hotels. Hotels.com refused to issue me a refund for the first hotel that I never used because the booking didn't process on my end. Out $315. They just lost a business traveler.

31 replies to this topic
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
13,711 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels.com....never again - Fraud

I have used hotels.com for many years, including couple hotels last 2-3 weeks in varies countries, never had any problem whatsoever. All bookings were solid.

Same can be said with all well known booking websites, never any problem.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
67,832 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels.com....never again - Fraud

There have been complaints about Hotels.com over in the Bargain Travel forum, but then that doesn't mean much since there are complaints about pretty much every booking company at one point or another.

The usual advice to those who feel that their booking hasn't gone through is to make certain that's the case via their bank or credit card provider before making another one. Quite a few people have even reported seeing a message telling them their card has not been charged only to find out later that it has been. So, the moral of this is don't make any assumptions at all, don't believe messages, double check for yourself.

Like MacJourney1, I've never had any problem with any bookings I've ever made through any channel, whether for business or leisure travel. I suppose I've been lucky, and touch wood, I hope my luck will continue.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
13,711 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels.com....never again - Fraud

I can't tell the difference between all these booking sites, and I can't remember who I booked with unless I check and read the confirmation email. I have as many as 7-8 hotel bookings on one trip, whomever I booked with made no difference. Business country hopping, from one city to next.

On several occasions I've used booking sites I never heard of, one in Spain(for Beijing Raffle), one in Germany(for Hilton Los Angeles), but they all turned out to be solid bookings. Why unknown sites? Cheaper.

In fact the Beijing Raffle booking had great service, I booked club lounge room, but confirmation is regular room, operator in Spain took cared of it with 3 ways communication between Spain, California and China. I was impressed.

With Internet, there is no border, one world.

2 weeks ago, I landed unexpectedly in Hangzhou due to typhoon in Osaka, booked a hotel room with agoda online, arrived hotel no room, it was near midnight, my booking was for one day later, I thought I corrected it 3 times, but I must've missed it. Agoda never answered my 5 calls and emails minutes after booking, I lost US$100, but I just took the loss and forget it.

Used to use agoda often, but its services went downhill thru the years, I avoid agoda, had no choice standing in an empty Hangzhou airport midnight with bad internet connection, after 12 hours in Osaka airport.

Little Rock
Level Contributor
3,277 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels.com....never again - Fraud

Contact your credit card and dispute the charges.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
24 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels.com....never again - Fraud

Completely agree with this. Contact your Credit Card company. They will have a process through which you can reclaim the money. In my experience a lot of the time with Internet providers, not travel ones specifically, they don't want the hassle of having to process a refund every time there is a glitch in their systems. They pass the inconvenience onto their customers. It's a pain but it's my guess is if you contact your credit card company you will get your money back.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
67,832 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels.com....never again - Fraud

I don't know why, but I thought I read that you had gone to your card provider! I was obviously mistaken, and the above advice is excellent.

7. Re: Hotels.com....never again - Fraud

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 September 2017, 09:35

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
813 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels.com....never again - Fraud

After booking you should have checked your email, account (as you did) and credit card online. Any discrepancies? Call Hotels.com

Right now you should dispute the charge with you credit card company.

I have used hotels.com almost exclusively for hotels and I have never had an issue once.

Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotels.com....never again - Fraud

Yes indeed its complete fraud- website is seriously faulty

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
67,832 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotels.com....never again - Fraud

How is the website faulty, and how does a malfunctionign website equal fraud? Cna you provid some more detail, please?

Reply to: Hotels.com....never again - Fraud
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted