We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Travel Rome to Paris with an overnight stop somewhere.

Windsor, Sydney
Level Contributor
47 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Train Travel Rome to Paris with an overnight stop somewhere.

Hi

Would like some information on which rail route to take from Rome to Paris with an overnight stop somewhere. Would ideally like this to take 2 days no longer. Have seen something on Bernina Express not sure if this is possible? Where to sit for great views? This trip would be for about seeing something different rather than cost.Which would give us a few days in Paris before flying back to Australia. Is there any problem with taking of suit cases on trains?

Thanks

12 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,210 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Travel Rome to Paris with an overnight stop somewhere.

Here are some ideas:

1. Fastest, stopping over in Turin, one of the underrated beautiful city in Italy.

Rome to Turin Porta Susa station by fast Freccia train, then Turin to Paris using French TGV train. See options at www.trainline.eu, or book separately from Trenitalia + Trainline.eu

(Total time about 10 hours if not overnighting)

2. Long, some coastal route

Rome to Milan by fast Freccia train (3 hrs 25 mins)

Milan to Nice by Thello train (3 hrs 30 mins)

https:/…

Overnight in Nice

Nice to Paris by French TGV train (5 hrs 45 mins)

3. Bernina express route

Rome to Milan by Freccia

Milan - Tirano by regional Trenord train (www.trenord.it/en) (2 hours 40 mins)

Tirano to Chur by regional Rhaetische bahn (www.rhb.ch - Bernina route, roughly 4 hours)

Overnight in Chur

Chur to Zurich to Paris , roughly 7 hrs

Come back to this forum for more details if interested

4. Luggage is usually at rack at the end of each carriage, for smaller items (backpack, 20" suitcase) on overhead above seat rack

5. Train travellers bible: www.seat61.com

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
36,887 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Travel Rome to Paris with an overnight stop somewhere.

You can take suitcases on trains, but you should try to travel as light as possible because you will be carrying them yourself, humping them up and down stairs if station escalators/elevators aren't working and lifting them up onto and off the train, and quite often onto overhead racks, which (apart from under and sometimes between seats) is all many trains have for storing luggage: although premium trains also have racks at the end of carriages. If by any chance you would be coming off a cruise I really don't recommend taking cruise luggage on a train trip, so this would require a rethink unless it is possible to send part of your luggage back/ ahead to reduce this for the train.

The Bernina Express (https://www.seat61.com/BerninaExpress.htm) goes between Chur and e.g. St. Moritz in Switzerland. Rome to Chur by train (+ bus from Bellinzona if you go that way) takes about 8 hrs, changing in Milan and Bellinzona (sometimes also in Chiasso), or via Tirano. St. Moritz to Paris (Gare de l'Est or Gare de Lyon) is about the same, with changes in Chur and Zurich or Chur, Basel and Strasbourg. You might also consider flying from Rome to Zurich and starting from there.

Edited: 15 September 2017, 20:25
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
67,832 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Travel Rome to Paris with an overnight stop somewhere.

hadiwi has given you some options/ I prefer to travel as light as possible when taking multiple or long rail journeys. It's more comfortable when getting on and off trains, and moving to and from hotels.

Windsor, Sydney
Level Contributor
47 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Travel Rome to Paris with an overnight stop somewhere.

Thank you for the great information.

Europe
Level Contributor
372 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Travel Rome to Paris with an overnight stop somewhere.

My suggestion to maximise scenery and visit some nice places en-route:

Rome to Bologna or Verona

Overnight stop

Bologna or Verona to Innsbruck - Brenner Pass

Overnight stop

Innsbruck to Freiburg (Germany) - travel along the Arlberg Pass route

Overnight stop

OPTION 1

Freiburg to Cologne - Rhine Valley route, one of my favourite rides in Europe.

Overnight stop

Cologne to Paris

OPTION 2

Freiburg to Koblenz - Rhine Valley

Koblenz to Luxembourg - Moselle Valley

Overnight Luxembourg

Luxembourg to Paris.

AndyBTravels

Sioux Falls, South...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train Travel Rome to Paris with an overnight stop somewhere.

Do you know anything about how easy it is to transfer trains in Turin at Porta Susa? I have about 20 min to transfer from train that is coming from Rome a train headed for Paris. Is that enough time?

Sioux Falls, South...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Train Travel Rome to Paris with an overnight stop somewhere.

Is 20 min enough time to transfer trains in my Rome to Paris route?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
95,282 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train Travel Rome to Paris with an overnight stop somewhere.

Twenty minutes would be more than enough time to change trains in almost any station. Train stations are much more compact than airports, and there are none of the delays for security, waiting for luggage, or queuing to get out of one little door at front left.

All you have to do is get off the train with your luggage, walk to the concourse, look at a departure screen to wee which platform (binario) your onward train will be using, and walk to that platform. Ten minutes max,

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,210 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train Travel Rome to Paris with an overnight stop somewhere.

20 minutes are plenty, but it would be useful to know the usual platform where the TGV departs from. I have a link but I am on mobile at the moment, and have no access to it. Pm me and I can send the link to you (it would help also to know the time of day).

Once you know the platform, be ready to stand as close as to where your carriage will stop.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,210 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train Travel Rome to Paris with an overnight stop somewhere.

Scheduled departures from Turin Porta Susa from 10am

https:/…

Reply to: Train Travel Rome to Paris with an overnight stop somewhere.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted