We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amtrak chicago through to florida

Amtrak chicago through to florida

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 September 2017, 17:35
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
55,350 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amtrak chicago through to florida

No they are still arguing about who will pay the millions of dollars it will cost to rehabilitate the track to make it suitable for running one passenger train each way each day.

The line was closed to passenger trains a few years ago following one of the hurricanes causing severe damage Here's a useful news item - nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2017/04/amtrak_t…

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
17,732 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amtrak chicago through to florida

That leg of the old Sunset Limited has been gone since hurricane Katrina: 2005. CSX railroad, which owns the tracks, has not been a cooperative host railroad for Amtrak. CSX has been running its trains over these tracks for the last 10 years. There is talk of running connecting trains at New Orleans instead of a true transcontinental. The train that needs to be put back in service is the "Floridian" from Chicago through Kentucky to Miami.

Washington State
Level Contributor
931 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amtrak chicago through to florida

Yes, they did run a test train. Do not look for service to be instituted any time soon. It will require a great deal of political and financial support, as well as negotiations with CSX, which is notoriously passenger train averse under current management.

It is a work of years, and most of the time these things do not pan out.

10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Amtrak chicago through to florida

Ah thanks - at least I know I wasnt dreaming about seeing the trial run.. I guess Ill look at another route out of Chicago or NYC

Washington State
Level Contributor
931 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amtrak chicago through to florida

The standard routing from Chicago to Florida if you are going through and not laying over is taking the Capitol Limited to Washington DC and either taking the Silver Meteor or Silver Star. Since they are not running a dining car on the Silver Star, I'd recommend using the Meteor.