We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Travel in Europe (Austria, Germany, France, Czech)

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Train Travel in Europe (Austria, Germany, France, Czech)

Hi Everyone

I am travelling in Europe from 1 December to 17 December this year, just my wife and I.

Looking at train tickets between

Vienna- Prague

Paris-Munich

Munich-Innsbruck

Innsbruck-Vienna

I am going to book those with no changes where possible to avoid confusion for us, but the Paris-Munich route seems always have at least 1 change. I see some of the changes are a matter of minutes, which concerns me as I don't think I could get our luggage off and find the new train in 12 minutes. Is this recommended? What is the alternative?

Can anyone clear this up for me?

Thanks

JJ

16 replies to this topic
Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Travel in Europe (Austria, Germany, France, Czech)

Another question...

I am assuming I can carry my wife, and my two large bags on any trains we go on... there aren't restrictions like there are with planes?

Malmo, Sweden
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Travel in Europe (Austria, Germany, France, Czech)

Checking the db app there seems to be a daily direct service at 15:55.

Or under option in the search you can specify "At least XX minutes of transer time"

Good luck!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,428 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Travel in Europe (Austria, Germany, France, Czech)

" I can carry my wife, and my two large bags on any trains we go on... there aren't restrictions like there are with planes? "

With trains, you just have to be aware that you need to handle the luggages yourself up the steps into the carriage. The lighter you pack, the easier. Anything larger than a 22" suitcase goes into the luggage rack at the end of each carriage.

1. As pointed out by Mattias, there is a direct service at 15:55. However, you can also adjust the transfer time when searching

2. I think the 9:06 is a good option with 14 minutes transfer time at Mannheim. The transfer should be easy.

Here is the station layout

www.bahnhof.de/bahnhof-de/Mannheim_Hbf.html…

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
227 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Travel in Europe (Austria, Germany, France, Czech)

Also on the Deutsche Bahn site when you search for trains, it often shows you the track that the train arrives on and the track the your connection departs on. Things could always change for whatever reason, but it may give you a general idea of how far you'll probably have to walk between connections. The app maybe helpful for real-time info on the day of travel.

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Travel in Europe (Austria, Germany, France, Czech)

Thank you everyone. The later train with no transfers doesn't suit us so the earlier trains with 1 transfer are best. Was just unsure about making a 14 min transfer. Seems too short haha! But if you all think it's fine then I'll go with them?

Wengen, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
8,585 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train Travel in Europe (Austria, Germany, France, Czech)

14 minutes is ample time to change trains. The DB planner never suggests impossible changes. You will probably spend most of those 14 minutes impatiently waiting for the train to leave.

If your incoming train is late, and you as a result miss your connection you just take the next train. They are quite frequent.

Nijmegen, The...
Level Contributor
4,135 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train Travel in Europe (Austria, Germany, France, Czech)

I had to giggle at post #2 "I assume I can carry my wife anf my 2 bags etc" took awhile before i realized you meant your wifes luggage instead of carrying your wife :P

Be aware that trains only stop at stations for a short period of time usually. You have to be able to easily carry your bags on and off the trains. There are more people wanting to get on and off so you can't just go ahead and block off a complete door just because you chose to take too much stuff... the locals will get grumpy...

So be sure you can easily manage your luggage.

Edited: 21 September 2017, 12:17
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
42,269 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train Travel in Europe (Austria, Germany, France, Czech)

Vienna to Prague

Check Austrian railways

http://www.oebb.at/en/

or Czech railways

https://www.cd.cz/eshop/

and compare the prices, both companies sell the tickets for the same train.

Average price if booked in advance is 20 euros per person one way.

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Train Travel in Europe (Austria, Germany, France, Czech)

@tilly41 thanks. Been checking all the websites already! Been organized on that front.

Another question... if I buy the usual, cheapest ticket, and I miss the train for whatever reason, can I get on the next train or was my ticket only for that specific train?

Nijmegen, The...
Level Contributor
4,135 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train Travel in Europe (Austria, Germany, France, Czech)

The cheapest tickets are usually non changeable and non refundable and are therefore in most cases bound to a train. If you miss the train because of a delayed earlier train then ofcourse you can get on the next train (mention it to the conductor though or, when at a larger station, have your ticket altered at a desk.

Reply to: Train Travel in Europe (Austria, Germany, France, Czech)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions