We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train alerts for Advance bookings - Edinburgh & Norwich

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
278 posts
8 reviews
3 helpful votes
Train alerts for Advance bookings - Edinburgh & Norwich
Save

I have set train alerts for a couple of journeys at the beginning of May in order to grab advance tickets, on two different days. Edinburgh to Norwich; Norwich to London.

Edinburgh to Norwich says timetable unconfirmed so I assume they’ll be advertised very shortly, 12 weeks prior, so I’ve signed up for an alert.

Norwich to London shows off peak single prices but also says 'Advance tickets usually go on sale 12 weeks before travel’ - sign up for an alert. I’ve signed up, but wondering if I’ve misunderstood the pricing system and cheaper advance tickets can be announced after the more expensive off peak fares are advertised? I’d prefer to buy the cheaper advance tickets.

I’m just looking for confirmation that I’m doing the right thing by waiting and not jumping in with the more expensive off peaks fares.

Also I’m wondering how realistic an 8min transfer in York from Platform 3 to Platform 6 is? From the platform diagram I’ve downloaded it looks relatively simple if we’re seated close to the exits/stairs and there won't be crowds of people ahead of us.

Thank you.

10 replies to this topic
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
38,967 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
1. Re: Train alerts for Advance bookings - Edinburgh & Norwich
Save

Off peak and Anytime tickets are the always available, full price tickets. They can be bought at any time and aren't fixed to specific services. They are for people whose plans can change or have too much money

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
278 posts
8 reviews
3 helpful votes
2. Re: Train alerts for Advance bookings - Edinburgh & Norwich
Save

Thank you for your prompt reply and confirmation Alan. I will wait patiently for the alerts. I have a timetable to adhere to & no intention of paying more than I need!

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
18,674 posts
7 reviews
29 helpful votes
3. Re: Train alerts for Advance bookings - Edinburgh & Norwich
Save

The sequence of events is:

1a Network Rail confirm track availability and paths taking into account any scheduled engineering work

1b Train operators confirm train availability and staff rosters

= Working timetable confirmed - this should be 12 weeks in advance but is often less

2 Train operator opens seat reservations

3 Train operator releases Advance ticket quotas onto booking system, usually 2-3 days after seat reservations

It sounds like Edinburgh-Norwich hasn't completed stage 1 yet, Norwich-London has stage 1 complete and possibly stage 2, but you are still waiting for stage 3.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
278 posts
8 reviews
3 helpful votes
4. Re: Train alerts for Advance bookings - Edinburgh & Norwich
Save

That's very useful to understand the sequence of events Original_Bobelinks, thank you very much.

I assume the advance fares are released in blocks?

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
18,674 posts
7 reviews
29 helpful votes
5. Re: Train alerts for Advance bookings - Edinburgh & Norwich
Save

Usually a week at a time, but weekday and weekends can be issued separately.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
278 posts
8 reviews
3 helpful votes
6. Re: Train alerts for Advance bookings - Edinburgh & Norwich
Save

Thanks again Original_Bobelinks.

Now, besides waiting patiently, I'll have to decide whether it's worthwhile buying the two together discount card. But guess I'll have to make a quick decision when tickets come on sale as I haven't seen any for my journeys to make a comparison. Or perhaps I've just picked the wrong random dates.

Level Contributor
608 posts
1 review
7. Re: Train alerts for Advance bookings - Edinburgh & Norwich
Save

In the ticket planner, you can easily change the date you want the ticket prices for. Apparently the cheapest train to Norwich costs 57 gbp 2nd class and the ticket to London 15 gbp. Using a 30 gbp discount card is in this case a good choice.

1st class tickets are a lot more expensive. I don't think it would be worth it to me.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
278 posts
8 reviews
3 helpful votes
8. Re: Train alerts for Advance bookings - Edinburgh & Norwich
Save

Thank you Reis,

I wasn't looking hard enough! I switched train companies (LNER) that shows the entire range of fares at a glance. Easy when you know how.

So thanks again. And it'll be worthwhile getting the card.

UK
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
19,865 posts
27 reviews
41 helpful votes
9. Re: Train alerts for Advance bookings - Edinburgh & Norwich
Save

"Norwich-London has stage 1 complete and possibly stage 2,"

There are no seat reservations on that route

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
278 posts
8 reviews
3 helpful votes
10. Re: Train alerts for Advance bookings - Edinburgh & Norwich
Save

Thanks for the heads up :)

Reply to: Train alerts for Advance bookings - Edinburgh & Norwich
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.