We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eurostar London to Rotterdam

1 post
Eurostar London to Rotterdam
Save

Hi all,

I'm planning a trip from London to Rotterdam, to go on Friday, then Rotterdam to Brussels on Saturday afternoon, and then Brussels to London on Tuesday afternoon.

I was thinking to get a round trip from London to Rotterdam, Friday to Tuesday, and then Saturday take a different train to Brussels and board the Eurostar train on Tuesday, but from Brussels instead of Rotterdam.

It's much cheaper to buy a round trip to Rotterdam + the Rotterdam to Brussels, than to buy 3 tickets from London to Rotherdam to Brussels to London.

My Question would be: would you be able to board the right train in Brussels to go to London, although your ticket is for Rotterdam to London? The train does stop in Brussels.

I know it's a strange question, but ran out of ideas on how to save some money on this trip.

Thanks in advance.

6 replies to this topic
Torquay, United...
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
32,046 posts
45 reviews
38 helpful votes
1. Re: Eurostar London to Rotterdam
Save

If you are looking to save money, also look at the cost of buying return London-Brussels, then use the hourly InterCity services between Brussels and Rotterdam in both directions. This does mean you will need to change trains in Brussels on the outward journey.

Check the Brussels-Rotterdam IC (Inter-City) fares at https://www.nsinternational.com/en

Then when you are armed with the fares information, make your choice.

Edited: 17 February 2024, 18:16
Strasbourg, France
Level Contributor
1,981 posts
2. Re: Eurostar London to Rotterdam
Save

As far as I know, Eurostar doesn't allow to board at an intermediate station. I think I read from somebody who was refused boarding at Brussels in a similar case.

Level Contributor
3,645 posts
9 reviews
2 helpful votes
3. Re: Eurostar London to Rotterdam
Save

If you try and fail, you could end up substantially out of pocket rather than "saving some money".... :(

J.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
86,343 posts
78 reviews
93 helpful votes
4. Re: Eurostar London to Rotterdam
Save

Eurostar international tickets are passed through a checkin scanner before you get onto the platform. If yours is from a different station, it will not let you through.

Now that the former Thalys Paris - Brussels - Rotterdam- Amsterdam services are also called Eurostar, there is mass confusion! From Rotterdam to London a change of train has always and will always be needed. UK bound travellers must go through security and immigration checkins before boarding. These facilities do not exist at Rotterdam, this is done in Brussels. So, as advised, use the intercity trains between Brussels and Rotterdam but, if travelling standard class, according to Eurostar you must be at Brussels Midi 'between 90 and 120' minutes before departure. That means you could spend as long in the confines of Brussels Midi as on the train itself. Now that UK is no longer in Europe, the joys of seamless international train travel are over.

Strasbourg, France
Level Contributor
1,981 posts
5. Re: Eurostar London to Rotterdam
Save

There used to be no direct trains from Rotterdam to London, but I think that check-in/passport control facilities in Rotterdam are now operational and trains run direct.

However, there are only 3 or 4 direct trains a day. You can book also connections with Eurostar which require a change in Brussels. In this case, it is a good question what will happen if you try to board the London train in Brussels, but have been a "no-show" from Rotterdam to Brussels.

Nijmegen, The...
Level Contributor
10,425 posts
17 reviews
5 helpful votes
6. Re: Eurostar London to Rotterdam
Save

You won't be able to get past the gates. Simple as that. So don't even try it.

Reply to: Eurostar London to Rotterdam
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.