We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why not book with Trainline

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
608 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
Why not book with Trainline

What's the problem with this sight and bookings? I understand problems with airlines but are train trips delayed and cancelled like airfares? Why is this sight frowned on? Thx

38 replies to this topic
Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
2,222 posts
1. Re: Why not book with Trainline

Because they don't operate the trains, so your contract is with them not the train companies if something goes wrong.

They also charge a booking fee for any not same day travel.

They present themselves as saving you money over the train companies, but they only save you money with splits tickets as they can't sell the same fares as train companies at cheaper prices. They take a % of any savings too.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
608 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
2. Re: Why not book with Trainline

The wex...but what goes wrong??

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
608 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
3. Re: Why not book with Trainline

Wait...that should be on the other posting

Level Contributor
3,927 posts
9 reviews
2 helpful votes
4. Re: Why not book with Trainline

georgetravel,

You seem to have a problem with the advice given in all your threads regarding booking with the websites of the companies that actually run the trains you want to travel on...

Why do you want to use Trainline?

J.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
608 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
5. Re: Why not book with Trainline

Hey joyce...yeah the site is so easy to navigate first of all...it seems their prices are lower...I have trouble matching up exact times and trains.... As I Digress I'm completely confused about train companies does each company have their own track? Do they own the train cars like airlines own the planes?

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
608 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
6. Re: Why not book with Trainline

By matching up I mean getting the itinerary I like from trainline and then applying it to 1 of the company websites

Florida
Level Contributor
4,795 posts
7. Re: Why not book with Trainline

The train companies (TOC) do not own their own track. There is one set of tracks managed and maintained by Network Rail.

They do own their own train cars and power units, probably a few exceptions.

You should be able to find any journey via the official site

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Who will then direct you to the train operating company but you can actually book any journey on any company.

You can use the Route Via and Journey Options to tweak your search.

I get that it can be confusing especially for those not familiar with how the railways operate in the UK.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
608 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
8. Re: Why not book with Trainline

Looking again prices aren't lower...my cheapest would probably take me back through London using the subway..is the trip Way prettier going direct from Bristol to Edinburgh or about the same scenery going through london

Florida
Level Contributor
4,795 posts
9. Re: Why not book with Trainline

IMO the prettiest part of either route is the same and that would be the portion after Newcastle.

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
75 reviews
59 helpful votes
10. Re: Why not book with Trainline

If we're talking about buying UK tickets, Trainline charges a booking fee. Why pay an extra $2 for tickets through a third party when one can buy direct from any train operating company?

I also noticed that Trainline does not display all available ticket types. One unfamiliar with UK trains and the different ticket types would easily miss the small link the near the bottom of the page to display all available ticket types.

Reply to: Why not book with Trainline
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.