We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hamburg - Copenhagen train - change of timetable

Leicester, United...
12 posts
Hamburg - Copenhagen train - change of timetable

Hello,

As part of a carefully planned Interrail and boat trip in July-August we reserved seats on the 08:55 direct Hamburg - Copenhagen train (EC 398) on 16 July 2024. I've just had notification that there's a timetable change and it appears that just for that week, the direct trains aren't running and instead I have to change (very quickly) at Flensburg and Fredericia. If we were stopping at Copenhagen that day it wouldn't be an issue but we're carrying on to Helsingborg so I'm a bit concerned about fitting in 3 transfers.

I've checked DB and https://www.dsb.dk/ websites and there's no sign of engineering works that week (though https://www.dsb.dk/ says there are track works till 13 July).

Does anyone know whether this is now a definite rescheduling for 15-19 July? Or is there a chance that the EC398 will actually run?

Many thanks

9 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
3,927 posts
9 reviews
2 helpful votes
1. Re: Hamburg - Copenhagen train - change of timetable

Even with the transfers you arrive 12 minutes later.

Do you have lots of luggage or perhaps can't move too well that concerns you about the transfers?

To make it easier for yourself you can research the two station layouts and usually you'll know beforehand which platform your connection is going from.

What time are your onward connections...?

J.

Malmo, Sweden
Level Contributor
3,513 posts
4 reviews
1 helpful vote
2. Re: Hamburg - Copenhagen train - change of timetable

There are 1-2 trains per hour Copenhagen-Helsingborg, so you shouldn't worry about that.

Something has triggered the change but I doubt we see the final schedule right now. DSB only shows schedules until early June.

Leicester, United...
12 posts
3. Re: Hamburg - Copenhagen train - change of timetable

Thank you both. It's a good point, Joyce, that it's not a much longer journey. We'll have big backpacks so I won't be running along the platform, but we'll be relatively mobile :)

It's more that I'm wondering whether there's a chance the direct train will be restored, as that makes it much easier with reservations as we're a family of four - I don't think we can reserve seats Hamburg-Flensburg, for example. And I don't want to pay for reservations for Flensburg-Fredericia-Copenhagen if we'll find that the direct train might actually be an option after all - so really that's my question: is there any chance that DB would tell me my reservation is cancelled, but then reopen it nearer the time?

Anders, thanks for the reminder that there are plenty of trains on to Helsingborg - booking wasn't open on this leg when I last checked, so we do have flexibility. I'll keep an eye on DSB over the next month or so.

Copenhagen Region...
Destination Expert
for Copenhagen
Level Contributor
1,791 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Hamburg - Copenhagen train - change of timetable

Hi,

As others have said, it's too early to say as information hasn't been released yet. Banedanmark, the Danish railway infrastructure agency, have a page about track renewal between Korsør and Slagelse. Information here is also limited, there's only a somewhat vague wording in a letter to neighbours of the railway, stating that "large track renewal machines" will operate around the clock on the line from start June to medio August 2024, and that train traffic will be affected.

My guess is the changes on your journey are because of this track work. It may be a qualified guess, but it's still just a guess. However I'd be surprised if they restore the EC-train when it's been removed from the timetable under this circumstance.

Regardless of what you do, I think it's wise to check back to confirm your rail itinerary when we get closer to your travel day.

Malmo, Sweden
Level Contributor
3,513 posts
4 reviews
1 helpful vote
5. Re: Hamburg - Copenhagen train - change of timetable

I read that Snälltåget runs very few service that week, and the few that runs is with train Hamburg-Odense and bus Odense-Malmö so likely affected by the Korsør-Slagelse work. Maybe there will no trains at all or much fewer than usual, but DB shows a normal number of trains between Odense and Copenhagen and that seems very unlikely.

Leicester, United...
12 posts
6. Re: Hamburg - Copenhagen train - change of timetable

Thanks Anders, yes I noted that... it all feels rather uncertain for that week (or two) on the trains.

The DB option to change at Flensburg and Fredericia has disappeared and now needs changes at Niebuell, Tonder, and Bramming - and even then I'm not convinced that the Bramming-Copenhagen will run, given the wider rail issues that week - perhaps it will also be replaced with bus.

We saw DB is still showing night trains and wondered whether to take the SJ night train Hamburg to Stockholm and then back to Oslo. But I'm not sure whether it will actually run?

So now we're considering booking the Flixbus just for some certainty... it's a bit annoying, though, as we have our Interrail passes! But I guess engineering works have to happen some time - I just wish the trains weren't offered and then witthdrawn :)

Malmo, Sweden
Level Contributor
3,513 posts
4 reviews
1 helpful vote
7. Re: Hamburg - Copenhagen train - change of timetable

I'm afraid it is a complete closure, but until DSB has announced the schedule I still have hope for an EC+bus connection similar to Snälltåget.

Malmo, Sweden
Level Contributor
3,513 posts
4 reviews
1 helpful vote
8. Re: Hamburg - Copenhagen train - change of timetable

Now there are EC+bus+train connections available

Leicester, United...
12 posts
9. Re: Hamburg - Copenhagen train - change of timetable

Ah, thank you Anders. That looks like a good route actually - but in fact we booked the Flixbus as we were nervous about the number of changes the trains were showing. But it's helpful for another year to see that a good alternative to the through train has been offered. Thanks all for your insights and help :)

Reply to: Hamburg - Copenhagen train - change of timetable
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.