We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renfe - Barcelona to San Sebastián

Level Contributor
25 posts
Renfe - Barcelona to San Sebastián

Hi,

I’ve read the posts about Renfe being tardy or somewhat unpredictable with releasing tickets. I’ve just checked Barcelona to San Sebastián and it’s only showing next 10 days availability. I guess that’s ok for locals but when you’re planning a multilayered trip from the other side of planet it’s going to stress me and add a complication when not being able to book at least 60 days out.

Can anyone please share their experience with booking for this route? Is 10 days as good as it gets or does Renfe release tickets more in advancer at other times of the year?

7 replies to this topic
Wengen, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
18,252 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
1. Re: Renfe - Barcelona to San Sebastián

That you can only buy NY subway tickets on the spot in NY is also OK for the locals, but inconvenient for for people planning a multi layered trip from the other side of the planet, right?

My tip is, Relax. You do not need to have every mass transit ride booked before you step on the plane to Europe.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
10,737 posts
3 reviews
20 helpful votes
2. Re: Renfe - Barcelona to San Sebastián

Last year, bookings for a slug of dates after 22 July only opened 7 July. But they opened! And plenty of seats when that happened.

Level Contributor
25 posts
3. Re: Renfe - Barcelona to San Sebastián

Thank you for your replies!

Level Contributor
25 posts
4. Re: Renfe - Barcelona to San Sebastián

Hi

Since my last post I have found a different ticket from Barcelona to San Sebastián.

It only shows up when I search on their website and not on the Renfe app. Odd!

It’s a route in the morning from Barcelona to San Sebastián with 1 change in Vitoria with a 41 min change/stop. It arrives in San Sebastián around 4pm.

This new option is attractive given the earlier arrival time. Has anyone used this route? Is the short 41 mins to change trains presented any issues? Not sure how big Vitoria station is to change trains etc or would the 41 minutes be enough if there are delays. I believe Renfe is very punctual.

Thank you

Torquay, United...
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
32,133 posts
45 reviews
38 helpful votes
5. Re: Renfe - Barcelona to San Sebastián

A 41 minute change is leisurely, not short! This is a domestic train connection between two platforms, not a schlep between airport gates.

Edited: 16 April 2024, 19:29
Level Contributor
3,902 posts
9 reviews
2 helpful votes
6. Re: Renfe - Barcelona to San Sebastián

I'd definitely be happy to have a coffee during that 41 minutes break :)

J.

Level Contributor
25 posts
7. Re: Renfe - Barcelona to San Sebastián

Thanks for your replies and time to respond

If there’s anyone out there that has done this route I’d appreciate your feedback too

Reply to: Renfe - Barcelona to San Sebastián
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.