We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brasov - Budapest train

Troon, United...
Level Contributor
114 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
Brasov - Budapest train

I'm currently looking at booking the Ister sleeper for four of us between Brasov and Budapest in August.

I went to book through the Romanian railway site first and there's no tickets available, but they do seem to be buyable from the Hungarian state railways. Why is this? Is there any disadvantage to just buying them now through the Hungarian site?

Also, if we book a 4 bed couchette will we definitely be in our own 4 bed couchette?

3 replies to this topic
Nijmegen, The...
Level Contributor
10,585 posts
17 reviews
5 helpful votes
1. Re: Brasov - Budapest train

You're booking way too early. Romanian railways only allow bookings 2 months out. But if you're u can book through Hungary then feel free to do so. It might be a tad more expensive in my experience.

If there's four of you and you book a 4 bed couchette yes. If there's 2 of you there's w big chance you'll be sharing. These trains tend to be very busy from time to time.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
10,737 posts
3 reviews
20 helpful votes
2. Re: Brasov - Budapest train

I suspect the reservations have to be sourced from the CFR (Romanian Railways) system, so even if MAV have loaded fares, when it tries to get a reservation to go with them I wouldn't be surprised if the reservation failed. So try, but don't be surprised if it doesn't work!

Consider the 'Corona' on this route, rather than the Ister. It has a restaurant car for dinner and breakfast, and a classic old-school sleeping car in beautiful condition if you could stretch to 2 x 2-bed sleepers.

Nijmegen, The...
Level Contributor
10,585 posts
17 reviews
5 helpful votes
3. Re: Brasov - Budapest train

While that might be nice, the Corona does take a route which is longer (12h57 vs 16h04). The Corona departs at 1851 and arrives in Budapest at 0955 whereas the 472 (Ister) departs at 2053 and arrives at 0850.

I would probably go for that. I personally prefer the CFR carriages used. The Ister uses rather old very comfy sleeping carriages as well.

Edited: 16 April 2024, 10:39
Reply to: Brasov - Budapest train
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.