We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rail Europe Promo

Brisbane
Level Contributor
639 posts
221 reviews
Save Topic
Rail Europe Promo

Has anyone heard of this? Is it the 5 day 3 country Select Pass? It's a huge bargain if this is for real. I was going to get a Swiss Card, and then point to point fares on the respective countries' sites but this would be so much better! I would still need a one way Thalys Paris-Amsterdam but the rest of our train travel could be condensed into 5 days with careful planning. It's cheaper than the Swiss Card which I only want for Geneva-Zermatt-Zurich so any other trip I can put onto it would be free.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
639 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rail Europe Promo

Oops, forgot the link and I can't edit the OP. Here it is. usatoday.com/travel/news/2009-04-30-rail-eur…

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,650 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rail Europe Promo

It does look as if, for once, it might be worth buying a RailEurope pass.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,687 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rail Europe Promo

Well, I don't find this on the RailEurope web-site.

Let me know if you do.

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,203 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rail Europe Promo

Looks like you will have to wait till May 12th (i think) and only a limited number available

Brisbane
Level Contributor
639 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rail Europe Promo

Is it up yet? I can't see it.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
639 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rail Europe Promo

Update: according to two other forums, the website crashed at noon, a few people managed to add the pass to their shopping cart and were booted out. Once they were able to get on the site, they saw this Sold Out message.

* Thank your for your interest in the Eurail 50th Anniversary Promotion. We have had an overwhelming demand and apologize that at this time we have sold out our supply and the promotional offer is no longer available. Please visit our Eurail Select Pass page to book the pass options currently available.

* SAVE $20 on Backpacks and Luggage at eBags.com

* All New Rail Europe Exclusive: Anywhere Anytime France™

The general consensus on other boards (Flyer Talk, Slick Deals) is that Rail Europe pulled a "bait and switch" game for publicity. Many people tried to buy one and no one was successful. I didn't think they would sell out that quickly, I was asleep (in Australia) and just now woke up. I would not normally have bought a pass as point to point tickets can be bought on the railway websites with seat reservations included much cheaper. This is a pretty shady tactic on the part of Rail Europe and I hope everyone who still wants a rail pass uses another company for their purchase.

British Columbia
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rail Europe Promo

We had our travel agent try for us right at the opening time.

They had a few hundred tkts and were sold out in minutes.

We're back to booking point to point on line.....sigh...................

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rail Europe Promo

It was for real although limited. I managed to buy a pass for two but by the time and tried to buy another for our friends, they were sold out. Still saved us around $600

Brisbane
Level Contributor
639 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rail Europe Promo

You got through on the Canadian site? One person on Flyertalk said they got it that way too. I have yet to hear one person on the boards that got one on the US site. It would have saved us about $600 over point to points too. I think Rail Europe annoyed more people with this promo and it's backfired on them big time as now what I am hearing is that people will go out of their way not to purchase from them. I'll have to go point to points on the rail websites and possible a Swiss Transfer Ticket.

10. Re: Rail Europe Promo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2009, 06:18