We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train travel Bangkok to Singapore

Surrey,England
Level Contributor
179 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Train travel Bangkok to Singapore

I would be grateful for any information about this journey e.g.

booking process in Bangkok, what the second class sleeper train is like, the cost per adult, the availability of meals en route, whether compartments are available for 2 people, the total number of hours spent on the train and whether it is possible to break the journey. Thank you very much for your help.

Corpus Christi, TX
Level Contributor
934 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train travel Bangkok to Singapore

Have you looked at this site--lots of information:

http://www.seat61.com/

We took the train from Singapore to Hue Hin but only traveled during the day and got off along the way for 1 or 2 days at each stop. We don't like night trains. I think Orient Express does a very expensive train trip on that route.

Surrey,England
Level Contributor
179 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train travel Bangkok to Singapore

Thank you for your reply.

Can you recall where you stopped off, where you stayed overnight and if recommended, how much the train journey cost, the price of your accommodation and if any meals were included.

Happy New Year.

Corpus Christi, TX
Level Contributor
934 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train travel Bangkok to Singapore

We stopped off at KL, Butterworth (for Penang), and Surrat Thani and on to Hue Hin. From Hue Hin, we traveled on to Bangkok via bus and taxis. We tried to travel only during the daylight hours so we could see the landscape. It was a really good trip--one of our best.

We stayed at the JW Mariott in KL and nice hotels in Penang , Surrat Thani, and Hue Hin but I do not remember any prices because it was 8 years ago.

There was food available for purchase on the trains at that time.

I used the Lonely Planet guide books to plan the trip and I highly recommend them!

Hope this helps a little.

Jane

Surrey,England
Level Contributor
179 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train travel Bangkok to Singapore

Thank you. Yes, it has helped and given us some further ideas to consider.

Cork
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train travel Bangkok to Singapore

Hi seen your questions on train travel iin thailand and malaysia train travel

from last Jan Im trying Bangkok to singapore so any updated information on trip would help if you could share it be obliged Regards Daithi

Surrey,England
Level Contributor
179 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train travel Bangkok to Singapore

Hi. I have received some very helpful replies. Please have a read through them. Good luck

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
94 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train travel Bangkok to Singapore

JaneB,

Well travelled senior from Texas..is that correct? Shame you missed the Sunshine Coast Queensland when you visited Australia, though trust you enjoyed your time here as much as we enjoy travelling in the U.S.

My wife (67) and I (74) are looking forward to the train trip from Singapore to Bangkok perhaps later this year. As old age pensioners we travel budget where we can and are not to fussed on accomodation as long as it is clean and comfortable and preferably reasonably close to the shops.

Was there any particular benefit of a stopover in Surat Thani and Hua Hin.

I had planned to stayover in Kuala Lumpur and Penang/Butterworth then continue on to Bangkok.

At this stage I am considering a 14day holiday.. Singapore - Kuala Lumpur -Penang - Bangkok. The tiger Temple out of Bangkok seems like an interest to visit and perhaps you might care to advise of how to plan our trip from your experience.

Did you book ahead for the train ?

Did you do a sleeper ? etc.etc.etc.

Any help with hotels?

Hope you get back to me and thanks for what you have contributed thus far

8. Re: Train travel Bangkok to Singapore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2010, 05:16