We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just came from a railclass,more confused than ever, pls help

seattle, wa
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Just came from a railclass,more confused than ever, pls help

Just returned from a Rick Steves class on rail travel in Europe. Now Iam even more confused! Need help to determine if I should purchase a rail pass or just point to point.

Family of 5 (51,50,17,18 and 12)

Plane from Sea- London for 5 nights (visiting family) then London to Berlin by plane.

Then trip as follows:

Berlin 3 nights

Prague 2 nights

Nuremberg 2 nights

Rothenburg 1 night

Munich 2 nights

Berchestgaden 1 night ?( or we could day trip to Bgaden and leave from Munich)

Then we must travel to Morzine, France 7 nights.

There are no direct trains to Morzine so was thinking to go to Geneva and renting car to drive to Morzine.

After our stay in Morzine we will thave 7 days to travel via car to Nimes, Lourdes,Loire valley( family there) and then Paris to fly home.

If I calculated it right, a select multi country pass for 6 days in 2 months would be around $1850 for all. Or should we just purcahse the special German day passes that allow us all to travel under one ticket? Then purchase point to point from Germany to Geneva? If I calculted that right on bahn.de would be around 600.00 if I purchased 90 advance.

ANY comments, help would be greatly appreciated. I enjoyed the rail class but not sure if purchasing a Eurail pass is such a good idea.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,927 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Just came from a railclass,more confused than ever, pls help

Rent your car from the French side of Geneva Airport (airport has its own train station) to avoid high charges for rental in one country and drop-off in another.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just came from a railclass,more confused than ever, pls help

You need to look at bahn.de for fares from Berlin to Praque and there are probably special fares booking in advance.

Prague to Nuremburg on bahn.de or cd.cz. The fastest way is a coach run by DB.

For travel around Bavaria you can use a Bayern ticket each day for all of you providing you stay off the IC and ICE trains.

Munich to Geneva look for specials on bahn.de I would day trip to B'garten to avoid having to carry luggage as you may have to back track through Munich anyway. However it might be worth checking the times and fares from Salzburg to Geneva on oebb.at as B'garten is very close to Salzburg.

I doubt if a pass is worth it if you can get advance tickets for the longer legs, but it does restrict your flexibility.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,796 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just came from a railclass,more confused than ever, pls help

As per the above, it is €29 each from Berlin to Prague www.bahn.de - that is also where you buy your tickets to Nuremburg on the bus €19 each

Within Bavaria get the aforementioned Bavaria ticket which is €28 for all of you (with restrictions as to time and type of train) - this is also valid to Salzburg from Munich, and from Salzburg to Geneva you can pick tickets up for €39 each oebb.at/pv/…index.jsp but numbers are limited at that price so snap them up while you can :)

Have a look through this for some useful information http://europetrainsguide.com/ (better than any Rick Steves masterclass :) ) - particularly the section about rail passes.

Bear in mind what Perilizia said about hiring a car - if you hire in Switzerland and drop off in France you will be hit for a massive drop-off fee.

A good and user-friendly site for planning rail journeys all over Europe: www.idos.cz (English button bottom right)

seattle, wa
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just came from a railclass,more confused than ever, pls help

Thank you all!!

Perilizia & GECK

I will make sure to pick up on French side, great info.So I will be looking for trains going to Geneva airport only.

I forgot to mention we will be travelling in July. I did learn in the class the new train schedules do not come out until June 13? Not sure what that means because when I am doing my research looks like I could purchase tickets 90days from now but not beyond. Our trip is more than 90 days out.

CGEK

I checked out theOBB site and if I calculated correctly we could purchase tickets for all 5 of us for 156.00 ( i think euros) with limitations or 513.60 leaving any train on July 10th??

Railenthusiast & CGEK

Thanks for the infor on the Bayern tickets.

Gosh, if I calculated it all correctly, we could use Bayern tickets in our Munich, Nurenburg, Rothenberg, Berchtesgaden. Use bahn.de for Berlin/prague/ nurenburg and OBB for Salzburg to Geneva all for around $700. Thats a HUGE difference and savings!!! I understand we would have to travel slower trains and not have the flexibilty but the savings would be worth it. Im thinking I wasted a Saturday in a railclass!!

Think you guys need to teach a class ;-) Thanks!

One more thing..

If we go to Salzburg to train it to Geneva I would want to stay a night which would mean either only one night in Prague or maybe no Prague and just stay in Bgaden and Salzburg. What do you all think? Prague or Bavaria/Salzburg?? Heard Prague is beautiful but not sure one day would be worth it .

Thanks again

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,796 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just came from a railclass,more confused than ever, pls help

I would consider skipping it (I don't know you, but I can see it now - getting five of you together to do something will take much of the day anyway :) ) - Prague needs at least 4 days IMO. You do seem to be packing rather a lot in to that middle bit - the world will just flash before your eyes and you won't know where you are.

However, it might make your journey a bit more expensive as you would have to get from Berlin to Munich and the super-discounted tickets sell out FAST on that route so you will have to pretend that you're on ebay 90 days before your travel date and snap them up fast (super-discounted tickets cost €29, compared to €89 for the next level up, or €120+ for a standard fare) - if they sell out a good trick is to look for a fare to Salzburg via Munich on the same train, as there might be some tickets at €29 on that route - they can't stop you just terminating your journey in Munich. Some people might frown at the possible lack of 'fair play' involved here though :)

Another alternative is to miss out Nuremberg in favour of more time to Prague - from Prague to Munich it can cost as little as $16 each. You get a group ticket from Prague to Plzeň for 713 Crowns (about $38) and then you use a Bayern-Boehmen ticket from Plzeň to Munich which is €33 for all of you (about $45) - you can buy this on the day at the international ticket office in Prague if you get the direct afternoon train, or the day before at the main station as the office opens at 9 am and the morning direct train leaves at 0904...

Also I think you were given a bit of duff information about the rail schedules - I may be wrong but new Europe-wide train schedules are issued on December 13 or thereabouts. It would be absolute chaos if they did that in the middle of summer! I'm beginning to think that you might want to ask for your money back... :)

seattle, wa
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just came from a railclass,more confused than ever, pls help

Thank you GCEK for helping me take off my rose colored glasses and realize a preteen and two teenagers may not work well at one day stays!

My husband and I would love to visit Prague, but looks as if we will just have to plan another trip.

Nuremburg is a must as my husband spent time there as a child and would like to revisit.

In doing more research, looks like train from Nuremburg to Geneva is the same amount as OBB from Salzburg to Geneva -if I can get the discounted ticket.

So.. Heres my new plan,

-Berlin( 3 nights) to Munich on super discount or as discounted as I can get

-Munich(5 nights) with day trips to B.gaden and Salzburg on the Bayern tics. This way we will have a base to stay

-Rothenburg ( 1 night) think we could manage that

-Nuremburg (2 nights) leaving next day to Geneva

Again, if I calculated it right.........$690 for all of us. Far cheaper than railpass

Thank you again

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,155 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Just came from a railclass,more confused than ever, pls help

Train route Berlin to Munich is via Nuremberg. Thus I would do Nuremberg and Rothenburg before Munich. And travel to Geneva from Munich.

Thinking of bases: you could use Nuremberg as base and do Rothenburg from there as a day trip. You could also conside a day trip from Nuremberg to Bamberg or Regensburg. Not as big as Prague but both come close in the architectural style and age of their buildings.

http://www.bamberg.info

http://www.regensburg.de

8. Re: Just came from a railclass,more confused than ever, pls help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2010, 05:19