We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

family of six in Europe

Blackheath...
Level Contributor
78 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
family of six in Europe

I am in the process of trying to budget a family trip to Italy, France and London around Easter next year, looking at the cost for the rail passes it seems very expensive and not real clear about what I would be able to use them foe.

our proposed itinerary would be a couple days in Rome heading to Florence and doing a day trip to Pisa from there over to Florence then in to Paris for a week and ending in London for a week.

I guess I am wanting to know would a pass cover any day trips or running around we would do in the major cities or would it be better to look at point to point. we are a family of six two adults, 16, 15, 13 and 11.

thanks for any assistance given :-)

Oswestry, United...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: family of six in Europe

You are only going to know if you do the maths. this may help - http://tiny.cc/ibmek - but I can see no reason for you to purchase any pass unless making more than a handful of day trips from Paris or London, again you are going to have to do the work.

If train travel or public transport within a city, it will not be run by the national rail provider. The local body will almost certainly have discounted multiple trip tickets on their transport.

If the the site of whoever is marketing these passes is not clear, what hope for the rest of us?

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,534 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: family of six in Europe

Rail passes in Italy are not usually worth it as they don't cover the compulsory reservation fees for the fats trains. They also don';t cover the Eurostar from Paris to London.

Look at fares in Italy on trenitalia.it although you may not be able to book.

There is a sleeper train from Florence to Paris - artesia.com, but it might be better to fly.

Paris to London - Eurostar.com

Blackheath...
Level Contributor
78 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: family of six in Europe

thanks!

we are actually travelling from Venice to Paris

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,411 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: family of six in Europe

I am not clear what you are proposing to do. The original post says you intend to travel Rome-Florence, a day trip from Florence to Pisa, then Pisa-Paris-London. But then in #3, you say you will be going Venice-Paris.

Rather than taking a train from Pisa (or Venice) to Paris, you would do better to fly. It would be much faster and probably cheaper.

For travel within Italy, cost out the individual trips at www.trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html using travel dates before 12 June 2011. You will almost certainly find that point-to-point tickets are cheaper than any pass.

For Paris-London, see www.eurostar.com using a travel date in March to get an idea of the advance purchase discounts that are available. Passes are not accepted on Eurostar.

Passes are not accepted on any of the urban metro systems, as these systems are not run by the national train operator.

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,084 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: family of six in Europe

Trenitalia has various 'Familia' fare offers throughout the year.

In general, Family fares for travelers over age 12 [adults] are discounted 20%. Children under the age of 4 travel free of charge but they do not have the right to a seat. Fares for children age 4 to under 12 are discounted 50% with a seat and 30% in sleeper compartments.

www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

6. Re: family of six in Europe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2011, 05:24