We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st timer amtrak tour

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
796 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
1st timer amtrak tour

We want to take a train trip- I'v only done it one other time, St. Louis to Kansas city. I was thinking flying from STL to the west coast and either doing a northbound or southbound tour. What is the most scenic routes- I want to sleep in a hotel at nights. Was thinking a 7 night trip.

Where would you get on and off?

Thanks. Seattle to San Diego

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,996 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st timer amtrak tour

You wont be able to sleep in hotels at night. There is a train through every 24 hours. If you get off at 8pm on Wednesday the next train comes through at 8pm on Thursday. Get at least a roomette sleeper on the train. Do not take coach: you won't like it if you want a bed to sleep in. Rule of thumb: day trip= coach, one night = roomette, more than one night=deluxe bedroom. Go to Amtrak.com and download the Southwest Chief schedule. Train #3 gets to Kansas City MO at 10:45 pm. heading to LA. You go through La Junta, the Raton Pass, Albuquerque and detrain at 8:00 in LA the second day. It's two nights on the train. If you want to visit the Grand Canyon there is a connection at Flagstaff AZ. The most scenic amtrak route is from Denver to Emeryville/San Francisco on the California Zephyr. I would suggest flying into Denver the day before and catching the Zephyr (#5) at 7:30am heading west. You go through the Rocky Mountains and the Wasatch range, on day one, sleep across the great salt basin and Nevada desert and go over the Sierra Nevada Mountains on the second day into the Bay area. Stop off would be Glenwood Springs, CO, Salt Lake City, UT and Reno Nevada. However, you have to sleep on the train. You could also take one of the Kansas City-Chicago trains: the Southwest Chief (#4) or the Lincoln Service (train#304) into Chicago and catch the California Zephyr westbound from it's beginning. Again, you have to sleep on the train.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
796 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st timer amtrak tour

thanks.

3. Re: 1st timer amtrak tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2012, 11:16