We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orient Express

Maplewood
2 posts
Save Topic
Orient Express

My husband and I are thinking of taking the Orient Express from Venice to Paris this summer. Its pricey. Any feedback about whether its worth the cost? Any experiences much appreciated - thanks!

Monica I.

NJ

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,671 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Orient Express

We did it a few years ago - it is certainly a memorable trip with attentive service and a carefully restored luxury train. Lots to eat as you are successively fed lunch, afternoon tea and dinner! The daytime journey through northern Italy and Austria is very scenic and it will probably get dark as you eat dinner travelling through Switzerland.

Whether this is worth the money is really a question for you, but it was a good way for ourselves and some friends to mark all of our significant birthdays.

Maplewood
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Orient Express

thank you so much! Your reply was really helpful. We were particularly interested in whether we would be able to get much scenic viewing in given the overnight trip.

Monica

north east England
Level Contributor
2 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Orient Express

If you can afford it, do it! My husband and I have just returned from Venice on the Orient Express and it has been the most wonderful experience. The glamour, the gaiety, the music from the pianist playing the baby grand piano in the Bar Car, and the gastronomic delights served up by chef Christian Bodeguel are experiences which will stay with us forever. The train hurtles and rattles its way through tunnels and passes under and through the Alps.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Orient Express

Yes, I too wondered whether £1,800 for a 24 hour train journey could ever be worth it.

It is.

The train is superb, a real piece of history, the food superb, the staff excellent, scenery terrific, beds as comfortable as any 5 star plus luxury hotel.

But be careful, this train is powerful magic. In fact, I got rather more than I bargained for.

I got engaged half way through the Brenner Pass to my girlfriend of only 6 months in the corridor of S class sleeping-car number 3125, having decided the name of our first born son in our sleeper berth the previous night.

And here I am, married with a mortgage, and Nathaniel now 6 years old.

Handle with care...

Edited: 24 September 2012, 23:01
north east England
Level Contributor
2 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Orient Express

How wonderful, Man-in-Seat-No6: so start saving up now for your trip to Venice in 2031! It is our Silver wedding anniversary in October so decided Venice in September would be a better time of year to visit and thought the Orient Express would be a delight. It was. It no longer goes through the Brenner Pass as it passes Lugano and goes through a different tunnel (not the Simpolon). Never mind: I find all tunnels look the same!

6. Re: Orient Express

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 04:19