We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eurail Select Pass Italy - Prague.

Perth, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
Eurail Select Pass Italy - Prague.

2 senior Aussies about to travel by train through Italy then on to Prague, preferably via Schaffhausen, Switzerland and, presumably, Germany.

I am confused about requirements of the Eurail Select Pass for "adjoining countries" . Given that Italy does not have a common border with Czech, does that mean I can not use a Select Pass? Austria abuts the above 4 countries. Can I take out a five country Select Pass labelled Austria? If so, can I still use it to go via the Swiss route or do I have to go via Austria?

Our last place in Italy is Cannobio near the Swiss border. Presumably the Austrian route would cause us to back-track to Milan and then train to Vienna and Prague.

What other options are there?

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,539 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eurail Select Pass Italy - Prague.

Welcome to TripAdvisor, J1J2_11;

This forum is about assisting charitable causes and volunteering, while travelling.

As a new user of TripAdvisor, I would suggest before posting in any forum to read the "sticky" at the top of the forum’s page, if there is one. The sticky will explain the focus / purpose of the forum and other important details.

As an example, the sticky on this forum is;

“Notice about the Charity Forum” with a push-pin icon beside it.

For a question such as yours, I would suggest posting on the "Train Travel" forum, which is here on TA;

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g1-i12483-Train_Tra…

Best Regards

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,732 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eurail Select Pass Italy - Prague.

It looks as though your post has been moved, as it is now in the Train Travel forum.

Eurail passes are usually poor value for money and, as you have found, are hedged in with restrictions on their use. They do not cover the cost of the seat reservations required on all the faster trains in Italy, which would add €10 to each journey on the fastest trains.

Almost certainly, you would do better just to buy ordinary point-to-point tickets as you travel around Europe. The only way to be certain, however, is to price out your travels on the national train operators' sites. These prices include seat reservations, where applicable.

Italy: www.trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html

Switzerland: www.sbb.ch/en

Germany: reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en?

Austria: www.oebb.at/en/index.jsp

Czech: www.cd.cz/eshop/default.aspx

Edited: 24 March 2011, 01:31
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,841 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eurail Select Pass Italy - Prague.

Depending on where you are starting in Italy, you can do this journey quite cheaply. Going through Switzerland is unfeasible - you would have to make your way towards Venice in order to get on the right sort of route, otherwise it would take you for ever.

From Venice, for example, you can get a bus/train to Vienna for €29 (not any old bus - it is quite luxurious and goes through fantastic alpine scenery) www.oebb.at

Then from Vienna to Prague it is €29 also from www.oebb.at

This is considerably less than any pass - companies that issue passes are first and foremost in the business of making money. Read more here europetrainsguide.com/Advice/Rail-Passes/Rai…

There are also several budget flight options from various northern Italian places to Prague.

Edited: 24 March 2011, 08:35
Perth, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Eurail Select Pass Italy - Prague.

Many thanks for your kind response and the information supplied.

I have most of the sites. Seems to be a big discrepancy in price between the Swiss and German sites for Schaffhausen to Prague??? Maybe I hit the wrong box?

Going through the German site all seems OK until I get to the final payment page where it says the first leg Schaf-Ulm "reservation request not accomplishable". Does this mean I can still make the booking but take pot-luck on the seating or does it mean nothing is available. I tried 1&2 class and 2 dept times with the same result. I don't want to pay for the whole trip only to find I cannot do the first leg and thereby lose the others as well.

Thanks again for you help.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eurail Select Pass Italy - Prague.

Schaffhausen to Ulm is likely to be a local train (RE or RB)and therefore seats cannot be reserved. Remember that in Switzerland & Germany the ticket is to allow you to travel between two points - if you want to reserve a seat that is extra and if there are no seats then you can stand.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,197 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Eurail Select Pass Italy - Prague.

> Given that Italy does not have a common border with Czech, does that mean I can not use a Select Pass?

You can buy a 4-country pass: Italy + Switzerland + Germany + Czech Republic

You can also buy a 4-country pass: Italy + Switzerland + Austrira + Czech Republic

Of course you can also buy a 5-country pass: Italy + Switzerland + Austrira + Germany + Czech Republic

> can I still use it to go via the Swiss route or do I have to go via Austria?

You don't have to go via Austria. But if you don't go via Austria it makes also no sense to add Austria.

Even if you choose the route Verona - Innsbruck - Munich - Czech Republic it makes still no sense to add Austria as the part through Austria is so short that it is cheaper to buy a point-to-point ticket from the Italy/Austria border to the Austria/Germany border than to opt for a 5-country pass including Austria.

> Seems to be a big discrepancy in price between the Swiss and German sites for Schaffhausen to Prague??? Maybe I hit the wrong box?

No. The reason is that the rail borders are between Germany and Switzerland not identical with the political border. Schaffhausen counts for domestic rail tariffs in Switzerland and in Germany. That's why you can find cheap DB offers from Schaffhausen to Prague.

> where it says the first leg Schaf-Ulm "reservation request not accomplishable".

No. Schaffhausen - Ulm is served by IRE (InterRegioExpress) trains. And on regional trains seat reservations are not possible at all. That's why the reservation request is not accomplishable.

> I don't want to pay for the whole trip only to find I cannot do the first leg and thereby lose the others as well.

This can't happen with the DB timetable. On this route a seat reservation is only compulsory for the Nuremberg to Prague DB ExpressBus. This reservation is included in the ticket price. On far distance trains like IC/EC or ICE trains you can reserve seats. But this is not compulsory. For such a seat reservation you have to pay extra. Such a seat reservation is also independent from the ticket. The ticket is sufficient to travel on the train. Which in worst case - all seats are occupied - can mean that you have to stand or sit on your luggage. With typically busy trains DB timetable gives however a recommendation to reserve seats.

Perth, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Eurail Select Pass Italy - Prague.

Many thanks to everyone for the excellent advice.

I have decided to buy the tickets once I get to Switzerland.

8. Re: Eurail Select Pass Italy - Prague.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 13:16