We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to London Euston from Hampshire

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,753 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to London Euston from Hampshire

I am booked on a train leaving Euston station at 11:30 am on a Wednesday. I will be staying with friends in Hampshire prior to that and plan on taking the train from Petersfield. This will mean getting from Waterloo to Euston.

I have been caught out before with train cancellations, so my questions:

1. How frequent are these cancellations?

2. Is it quicker (and easier as we will have luggage) to take the tube or a cab from Waterloo to Euston?

3. Should I play it safe and stay in London the night before?

I have an advance purchase ticket from Euston so can't afford to miss my train.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
45,528 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to London Euston from Hampshire

Train cancellations are not frequent but since trains from Petersfield to London leave every 20- 30 minutes you can play safe by catching the train at 0918 due at Waterloo at 1027, or even half an hour earlier. That gives you plenty of time to get over to Euston.

On the day of your journey you can use this website page to check if there are any delays or cancellations at Petersfield

www.journeycheck.southwesttrains.co.uk/

If you have lots of bags a taxi isn't a bad idea since the underground (tube) journey does involve quite a bit of walking through various tunnels at both ends.

I hope that helps and enjoy your trip.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,360 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to London Euston from Hampshire

Plenty of trains from Petersfield and they are usually reliable. You would have been better booking a through ticket from Petersfield to your destination as you would be covered for any delays and the price also includes the tube journey.

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,482 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to London Euston from Hampshire

I always take a cab when crossing Londonwith luggage as luggage and the tube don't really go well together. Unless you are on a VERY tight budget i would take the cab.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,753 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to London Euston from Hampshire

Thanks for that information. Budgets are always tight, but after reading what you have said, we will go with the taxi option.

As a matter of interest, the reason I didn't purchase a through ticket was because on the day I made the purchase, it was more expensive than two separate tickets, even allowing for the tube fare.

5. Re: Getting to London Euston from Hampshire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2012, 00:17