We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston to Disney, via Amtrak

Between Boston...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Boston to Disney, via Amtrak

Hi, looking for advice and info on a trip my wife and I would like to take with our 2 boys ( 7 and 5) next August. I personally have taken the trains all over the western side of the U.S., but never with offspring and never south of NYC.

After looking at flight fares and considering how long a commute it would be flying, between shuttles and security and the flight itself, plus being stuck inside a tin can for 3 hours with 2 small ones, 1 with behavior issues, we decided the rails was our best option. We lose a day in travel, but we figured the time lost would be money saved not having a hotel rooms or paying for food. Plus, I just love riding the rails :) The boys will have the train to roam all over, more or less.

I'm interested in the Viewliner bedroom out of Penn Station. Would it accommodate the 4 of us?

How quick are the rooms booked? Do I have to pay all up front, or could I just put a refundable deposit on the room?

Are there outlets in the rooms to recharge electronics?

Is wifi available in the bedrooms? Is there a cost to it?

I'm assuming that Kissimmee is the closest stop to WDW. Are there rental cars available at the station? How about hotel shuttles? We'll be staying on the property.

How's the food on the train?

I'd also like to know other travelers experience on this trip, if possible.

Sorry about so many questions. I'm trying not to miss anything, so we can make this an enjoyable experience for our whole family.

TIA

Cheers,

Patrick

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
44,843 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston to Disney, via Amtrak

You will find answers to many of your questions, including pictures of the Viewliner car interiors, at this excellent website

seat61.com/…20Florida

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
8,604 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston to Disney, via Amtrak

You find three hours in a tin can too much to bear, so you thought it would be better to stick everyone in a larger tin can for 26 hours? Doesn't sound like a good plan. You can't just let the kids run around the train. That would be very inconsiderate to the other passengers. Even if they ran around, the kids will get bored very quickly. You will need 20 hours worth of DVDs and/or video games to keep them occupied. I don't see this being pleasant for anyone involved.

Edited: 26 November 2011, 22:15
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
14,946 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston to Disney, via Amtrak

Your children will not be allowed the run of the train so you had best have the largest family accommodation possible. There are no family bedrooms on the viewliner equipment (on the Silver Meteor and the Silver Star) and one deluxe bedroom is too small. You should look into a suite configuration which is two bedrooms with the wall open in between. www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer…

You will need to book well in advance for this type of accommodation You might want to look into the AutoTrain from Lorton Virginia to Sanford, Florida. It is Superliner Equipment and there is a family bedroom in each sleeper car. You also will have your car when you get to FL.http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Route_C&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1241245666320

The food is standard Amtrak fare.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,024 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston to Disney, via Amtrak

Nothing beats flying, train is nice but thats to long of a trip.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
14,946 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston to Disney, via Amtrak

Oldiesguy - What are you doing on the Train Travel forum if you don't like to take the train? This forum is for people who do like to travel by train. You need to be here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Trav…

Llandudno North...
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston to Disney, via Amtrak

shallow_shoal, he doesnt say he doesnt like the train, in fact oldiesguy says "train is nice but thats to long of a trip" which you have to agree is correct on both fronts.

The train would be a nice scenic way to get there. But with two young kids, thats a long journey unless you have lots to keep them occupied.

I have two young children and flew 10.5 hours to Mexico, and know how difficult it is to keep them occupied.

1500 miles and 24 hours on a train is great, for train lovers but for two young children one with behavioural issues, I'd say it was a lot easier to fasten them in their seats on a flight for 3 hours than 24! IMO

:-)

7. Re: Boston to Disney, via Amtrak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 December 2011, 20:35
8. Re: Boston to Disney, via Amtrak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 December 2011, 20:35
Edited: 04 December 2011, 20:35
Oostburg, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
270 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boston to Disney, via Amtrak

Amtrak makes two stops in the WDW area. Which is best for you depends on your hotel, but it's highly likely the Orlando station would be better than the one in Kissimmee.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,771 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Boston to Disney, via Amtrak

I have to disagree about the stations. Athough the one in Orlando proper is a larger station it is in a very bad area of town and not a pleasant place to be - lots of street people hanging about and lots of personal safety concerns, and the one in Kissimmee is much closer to the Disney area and not as scarey although not all the trains stop there.

I have to say though, that in the circumstances described, I'd fly as well- the train trip on this coast is often way off schedule and the journey is not very nice at all IMO. With two young kids, I think it would be hell.