We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RailHolidays(Treyn) Any experience of using this company?

Clitheroe, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
RailHolidays(Treyn) Any experience of using this company?

Looking to travel to Italy by rail with this company (Tuscany?Venice). Has anyone any experience of using RailHolidays (Treyn)? Would like to know what your experience was like and how efficient the transfers are, whether the hotels were good etc.

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
30 reviews
Save Reply
141. Re: RailHolidays(Treyn) Any experience of using this company?

Just returned from an 11 day tour of Vienna, Prague and Berlin. The organisation was superb. Our tour guide Rosario, exceptional. Apart from some strange configuration in the Berlin hotel bedroom, the accommodation was excellent, reasonably located with good food and helpful staff. This was our second Treyn holiday and we have booked to go to the Orange Blossom Coast in September. So no concerns from me!

Crowborough, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
595 reviews
Save Reply
142. Re: RailHolidays(Treyn) Any experience of using this company?

Just got back from the Catalan Coast holiday and enjoyed every minute of it. Our 4 Star hotel in Roses, the Mediterraneo Park, would take some beating. Our Tour Manager, Tommy Gricey, was a Star. He was actually the best one we have come across on our Rail Holidays with several Companies over the years. So thanks a lot Treyn, we shall be back for more. If you haven't done this particular Spanish trip, try it, do. All 40 of our "gang" seemed to have no complaints whatsoever. The TGV journey flew by, using the line that has only just been opened from France into Spain, through the tunnel, straight to Figueres brand new station. Barcelona, Salvador Dali Museum, Besalu, plus a bonus Girona trip, were most interesting and enjoyable. We were sorry to have to come home.

England
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
143. Re: RailHolidays(Treyn) Any experience of using this company?

Yes, we have used them twice now. Once last September to Switzerland, loved it. The tour manager was thorough in guiding us and ensuring we all got comfortably on to each train. Hotels were good, lovely view of the Jungfrau from our balcony. Couldn't fault the holiday. This year we went with Treyn again to the Italian Lakes. Same again, tour manager was excellent, hard working, paid great attention to detail throughout the holiday to ensure that we all enjoyed it, couldn't fault him. Train connections were all well planned, we didn't need to worry about anything. We are going with them again to southern Spain next September. Have I convinced you yet?

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
144. Re: RailHolidays(Treyn) Any experience of using this company?

We agree - that is a particularly good trip!

Devizes
Level Contributor
3 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
145. Re: RailHolidays(Treyn) Any experience of using this company?

We found them very good for the price. You need to be aware that the couriers are not porters so you'll have to look after your own luggage (this is clearly stated when booking but some people brought large cases which they couldn't manage). The holiday was delightful with a good hotel, well-organised excursions and local guides where appropriate. We've used Treyn several times both abroad and in the UK and have always been pleased with them.

Preston
Level Contributor
8 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
146. Re: RailHolidays(Treyn) Any experience of using this company?

You have to be aware that a Trayn holiday is much cheaper than a similar holiday in the normal Great Rail Journey catalogue. For one thing, you can`t expect four and five star hotels for the price and for another, the old saying, `you get what you pay for`, applies. My wife and I, have only been on one Trayn holiday (3 Great Rail Journey holidays) and it was nowhere near being in the same league as G.R.J. The main hotel in Scotland was grotty, with poor undercooked food and the rooms lacking even basic daily cleaning standards. I complained to Trayn about the hotel on returning home in May 2013 and on Trip Advisor under the name of Gavioli,, but it is still being used.

On the other hand, if my wife and I had paid the G.R.J. price for sub standard accommodation, we would have been very peeved, but we hadn`t. We had paid cheap and we had got cheap. Regarding the tour manager, I found her to be just as professional as those in the parent company. If you want high quality hotels, save up some more, have a short holiday this year and save the bulk of your money for a G.R.J. blow-out next year.

Edited: 08 June 2014, 22:41
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
147. Re: RailHolidays(Treyn) Any experience of using this company?

Surprisingly no comments for 2 years! We've just completed Treyn's Glacier Express and last June went with them on Jungfrau Express. Both times Holidays good, Hotels good, Tour Managers excellent and transfers went smoothly. also stunning scenery and hot and sunny weather. We're more than happy with Treyn.

South...
Level Contributor
1 post
62 reviews
Save Reply
148. Re: RailHolidays(Treyn) Any experience of using this company?

We visited Lake Como in May for a 10 day holiday. We couldn't fault Treyn - from the very beginning they were obliging in sorting out any queries we had before booking (we had never experienced a group holiday before) and our Tour Manager Richy McArdle was excellent and very professional. He ensured that our holiday went smoothly and without a hitch. He couldn't however, do anything about the Grand Hotel Excelsior on Como which was huge and appeared to cater for the English and large coach parties. Had we been visiting Como independently we would not have chosen to stay at such a large hotel. However as a group all inclusive holiday we have no idea how much we paid for the hotel and so perhaps we got what we paid for !!! The group that we were with were very friendly and all in all had a great holiday. We would definitely travel with Treyn again. One piece of advice - use Baggage Man to transport your luggage - excellent service and well worth the £95 for piece of mind and not having to hump large cases around.

Edited: 30 June 2014, 22:15
Dagenham, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
227 reviews
Save Reply
149. Re: RailHolidays(Treyn) Any experience of using this company?

I have just returned from a tour of the Moselle valley with Treyn and i had a wonderful time. The journey to the hotel is long but made easy by our professional tour guide, Ivan, who was wonderful and there for everyone when they needed him. He knew everything he needed to know and never did not know the answer to any questioned asked. One lady ended up in hospital and what Ivan and the company did to help her and her husband was wonderful and they were never left feeling on their own., The hotel we stayed in was nice, the food was nice, the group of people we traveled with were lovely and i would definitely use this company again. they were very professional from when i booked the holiday til we came home and always answered any questions we had about the holiday. The tour guide rang us the morning before we left to introduce himself and to make sure we knew where we were meeting and to ask if there were any questions we had, this is what i call a great service.

Chigwell, England
Level Contributor
102 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
150. Re: RailHolidays(Treyn) Any experience of using this company?

Hi, Joanie - Jan here. I didn't realise we're practically neighbours! Yes, I was on the same Treyn holiday to the Moselle Valley as Joanie and was as happy as she was with Treyn's organisation. Ivan was a super Tour Manager and his friendly professionalism was a big factor in making it a lovely trip. Hotel was fine, the town of Cochem was a lovely base and the excursions were very good. This was my third Treyn holiday and I look forward to my next one with them.