We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

City Night Line Construction

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
306 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
City Night Line Construction

Does anyone know what the story is with this?

I had hoped to take the City Night LIne train from Paris to Munich on June 5th. They are not taking bookings because of construction.

I've tried google to see if there any news stories about this, I'm wondering if they think the trains won't run at all and that's why they don't want to take bookings or what?

Bookings are blocked from early April through July. That's a long time!

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
1,982 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: City Night Line Construction

I found this on the City Night Line site (I ggogled the site and forgot to take the address)

Information about connections to Paris until July 2012

Dear City Night Line Customers,

Unfortunately, not all of our connections are bookable currently because of constructions works.

This will affect the following City Night Line services:

Paris – Berlin – Paris (CNL 451 / 471 and CNL 450 / 470)

Paris – Hamburg – Paris (CNL 50451 / 40479)

Paris – Munich – Paris (CNL 40451 / 40418)

The following PDF-files contains a list of the affected dates also of the different departure and arrival times in Paris, Metz and Saarbrucken. The PDF-files also contains some individual cancelled dates for Metz and Saarbrucken.

March 2012

April 2012

May 2012

June 2012

July 2012

Please check the departure times prior to departure on www.bahn.com. We will inform you about the missing booking possibilities as soon as possible.

We apologise for the inconvenience.

If you go to the site you can see the pdf files they mention

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
306 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: City Night Line Construction

Thanks Marmot12, I had seen that information on the website, I should have made that clear in my post.

I guess I'm just confused about what it means. Is it possible they might not run these trains at all because of the work being done? I was thinking there may be news reports on this in Europe or that someone with previous experience with this sort of thing would know.

I'm working on my plan 'B' for getting from Paris to Munich just in case.

Thanks for taking the trouble of pasting that information from the bahn site here, it will save someone else the trouble of looking it up I'm sure.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,134 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: City Night Line Construction

I just tried it and it seems that booking the CNL on the 5th June 2012 is now possible.

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Start: Paris Est

Destination: München Hbf

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
306 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: City Night Line Construction

No, it still doesn't work, I went through the whole process and it says booking can not be done at this time.

Thanks anyway.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,475 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: City Night Line Construction

@luv-to-travel I tried it for 5th June, and definitely it does work... giving me a price of € 99 for an economy double cabin..

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
306 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: City Night Line Construction

Yes, it gives you the price, asks you if you want an emailed ticket...everything, but it won't let you book.

I had been looking for an email contact for bahn.de but couldn't find it...until tonight so I sent them an email on my question. If I get an answer I'll post it here in case anyone else looks at the thread.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,475 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: City Night Line Construction

When I tried it, it asked me for my details (I am registered with DBahn), I can't see any other messages to prevent me to continue.

Here is their email fahrkartenservice@bahn.de

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
306 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: City Night Line Construction

I heard back from bahn.de site and they confirm that they are indeed blocking the booking of city night line trains for the time being.

I asked them specifically about my date, June 5th, 2012 and they said the train will run, but they are waiting for information from the French railways on departure times before opening the booking.

They advised patience.

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,194 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: City Night Line Construction

I do not now if you have booked yet, but i have booked for that same week without any problems.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
306 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: City Night Line Construction

Yes they actually sent me an email when booking opened up. Great customer service.