We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying Amtrak tickets with another persons credit card?

New York City, New...
9 posts
Buying Amtrak tickets with another persons credit card?

I need to buy a round trip ticket from NY Penn to Baltimore Penn, but I since I don't have my own credit card I would have to use my Mom's. Am I allowed to do this? Will I be need to show the credit card to an Amtrak employee before boarding the train? I'll be traveling alone, so I won't be able to present the card, or have my Mom vouch that it's her card. I've never used Amtrak before so I have no idea how this works.

If I can't use some one elses credit card, can I go to NY Penn a few weeks before the trip and pay in cash at the station for my tickets?

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
47,596 posts
32 reviews
1. Re: Buying Amtrak tickets with another persons credit card?

Amtrak requires Photo ID for all travellers, that perhaps will be more of an issue to you.

Suggest you read

www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer…

Quoting one part

"Passengers purchasing tickets from station ticket agents or on board trains from conductors must provide photo identification and be at least 15 years old."

I can find nothing about producing credit cards or using someone else's.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,642 posts
111 reviews
2. Re: Buying Amtrak tickets with another persons credit card?

Book online and print out your reservation with the UPC bar code o it. That way you will be able to check in at a kiosk at the station and the ticket will be prepaid. You will need a gov't (drivers licence) photo ID with a name matching the name on the ticket.

New York City, New...
9 posts
3. Re: Buying Amtrak tickets with another persons credit card?

I may be wrong about this, but I heard that you need to use the credit card that was used to order the tickets to activate the kiosk. It that true? or do I just scan the bar code, and they print?

Also, I just realized that my drivers license expires 3 days prior to the trip and I may not have a valid license by then. Can I show my passport instead, if I don't have a valid license? I won't be needing to drive anywhere on the trip.

I also have a student ID from my college that i could show.

Thanks.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,642 posts
111 reviews
4. Re: Buying Amtrak tickets with another persons credit card?

If you go to the machine, all you need is the bar code reservation or type in the reservation #. I've never had the machine ask to verify the credit card used. Your passport is Federal ID, your driver's licence is State ID. Whichever.

New York City, New...
9 posts
5. Re: Buying Amtrak tickets with another persons credit card?

Ok. so I will just bring my passport, because I probably won't have a valid drivers license.

Once I print out my ticket at the kiosk, I just wait for the track number to be announced then board the train, right? Is there anything else I have to do?

I won't have any luggage with me since I'm just doing a day trip.

Chicago
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
1 review
6. Re: Buying Amtrak tickets with another persons credit card?

Okay, Sean - if your trip is a few weeks away, as your first post seems to indicate, why on earth don't you renew the license now so that you will have a valid license before it expires and then you don't have to carry a passport around to take a day trip on Amtrak?

New York City, New...
9 posts
7. Re: Buying Amtrak tickets with another persons credit card?

I didn't realize this until I got a renewal form in the mail from the NY state DMV. I have filled it out, and mailed it back, but I just wanted a back up just in case the valid license dosn't get mailed back to me by the time I leave. I've never renewed my license before so I don't know how long thats going to take.

8. Re: Buying Amtrak tickets with another persons credit card?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 04:41