We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Huge fine for not filling in Eurail survey

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
26 reviews
Save Topic
Huge fine for not filling in Eurail survey

My son had to pay a Euro120 fine on a Spanish train for not filling in properly the record of the train he was on. (He did it in pencil whch the conductor deemed inappropriate).

How can Eurail justify this practice? This "survey" has now apparently become compulsory.

I would avoid a product that can be so easily abused.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
92,762 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Huge fine for not filling in Eurail survey

It is not a survey. It is a record that he has used the train pass for travel. If he writes in pencil, he could erase the entry and use the pass again.

There is no such thing as "Eurail": it is just a marketing name for over-priced train passes. The fine would have been imposed by the Spanish train operator, Renfe.

However, train passes should indeed be avoided, as they almost always cost more than just buying ordinary train tickets.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10,639 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Huge fine for not filling in Eurail survey

As Nick said, train passes should be avoided. However, it would have been useful if your son had read the conditions of using the pass before travelling, that condition has been in place for as long as I remembered.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
30,261 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Huge fine for not filling in Eurail survey

Yes - avoid Eurail passes like the plague as they are a rip-off. It is unfortunate that you found out in quite this manner, and is the first time that I have seen such a complaint,

Some good info here europetrainsguide.com/Advice/Rail-Passes/Rai…

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,900 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Huge fine for not filling in Eurail survey

He's lucky the entire pass wasn't invalidated.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
31,421 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Huge fine for not filling in Eurail survey

The rules are under 'Travel Report' here eurail.com/plan-your-trip/eurail-europe/usin…

Lincoln, England...
Level Contributor
4 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Huge fine for not filling in Eurail survey

Eurail isn't that bad! I had one round Europe and apart from having to pay a few supplements (On Italian trains mainly) it was fine.

Not a total rip-off although it's not great value for money, for instance the Eurail pass got us from Venice to Munich for free, whereas the ticket cost everyone else on the train 80 Euros.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
14,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Huge fine for not filling in Eurail survey

For free? Are you sure you didnt pay for the pass much more than that?

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
31,421 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Huge fine for not filling in Eurail survey

While the full Venice-Munich fare is €86, trenitalia (and DB) sells advance tickets on the direct train from €39.

And there is a reservation fee on this train of €7 (if bought from trenitalia) for people with a rail pass.

The difference between these of €32 is probably less than the cost of a pass per day.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Huge fine for not filling in Eurail survey

Similar just happened to my son and daughter in Italy. They were fined 50 euros each for not filling in the record of their trips in the right place on the Europass. They had filled in their trips in the way the train people I France had told them to do it but evidently the people in Italy didn't accept it I think it is a shame these petty officials should single out a couple of young travellers and fine them so much money when a simple caution would have been sufficient. However, this is the kind of thing that happens when you travel so we'll just put it down to experience.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
92,762 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Huge fine for not filling in Eurail survey

If they don't fill the form out properly, the inspectors will think that they are trying to cheat the system and will issue a fine. No amount of "but I didn't know" will dissuade them: that is what everyone says when caught.