We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rail pass?

Sydney
Level Contributor
137 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
rail pass?

Need some advice! Planning to travel a lot by train in Europe next year. Rome>Florence>Venice>Saltzburg>Vienna>Prague>London>Cambridge>Portsmouth>London.

Firstly, what's the best way to do this - with a Eurail pass? If so how does it operate & how do I purchase? Also does it operate in UK?

Anyone done Prague to London? Searching tells me you can go on a sleeper via Cologne & then the Eurostar from Paris to London. Would love some advice/comments to help plan all this.

Love TA - from sunny Sydney.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: rail pass?

Do NOT purchase anything from an Australian agent - you will pay well over the odds if you do.

Assuming it's that Sydney

Sydney
Level Contributor
137 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rail pass?

Yes Sydney. Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,086 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rail pass?

See the excellent advice at www.seat61.com and especially seat61.com/Railpass-and-Eurail-pass-guide.htm

Long distances such as Prague-Paris are best done by air: see www.skyscanner.net

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rail pass?

Inrelation to the British section of your trip, both Cambridge and Portsmouth are a fairly short journey from London (1hour to an hour and a half), and you would have to go via London to get between the two. It would certainly not be worth getting a Britrail pass. Although there are ways of shaving the cost, as a general rule of thumb, simply do the journeys after 9.30 to benefit from off-peak fares.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rail pass?

Have a feeling that you might find point to point tickets that will be cheaper.

Rail passes give you flexibility, but I think the cost won't justify getting a pass.

Some useful planning tools:

http://www.bahn.de/i/view/GBR/en/index.shtml

and

http://www.oebb.at/en/

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,664 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rail pass?

Note that the Eurail pass is NOT valid in the UK at all.

Sydney
Level Contributor
137 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rail pass?

Thank you all for your very valuable information. Looks like we will just get point to point tickets which is what I needed to know.

Florida
Level Contributor
639 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: rail pass?

These forums have told of costly misinformation given by Australian travel agents selling expensive Rail Europe tickets. You will notice if you buy directly from each country's train site you can get some great specials if your date of travel is for sure and you buy online early and print your tickets yourself. The best priced tickets are nonrefundable. Tickets can be purchased up to 3 months in advance in Italy and the super economy prices can sell out early. For eg you can purchase and print at www.trenitalia.com tickets from Florence (Firenze) to Venice (Venezia) for only 9 euros versus the walk-up base price of 45 euros.

roninrome.com/transportation/booking-on-the-…

roninrome.com/%20transportation/riding-the-t…

www.roninrome.com/%20transportation/bus

Florida
Level Contributor
639 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: rail pass?

Also thought this thread about Austria's special priced tickets that start at 9 euros would interest you.

tripadvisor.com/…41052517

Sydney
Level Contributor
137 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: rail pass?

Thanks heaps!!!