We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Shore Limited Sleeper, unwanted "amenity"

Kentucky
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Lake Shore Limited Sleeper, unwanted "amenity"

I've booked a sleeper on the LSL and was a little surprised to see that there's a toilet in the room, right beside the bed! Does anyone know whether there are optional "locations" reasonably nearby?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
17,274 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Shore Limited Sleeper, unwanted "amenity"

Ah, the dreaded toilet in the room. What were they thinking!! This is one of the obvious clues that the people who design rail cars don't ride in rail cars. The answer is no. It's the dumbest idea since putting toilets on a train in the first place. You do not say when you are travelling and which point to point you're travelling between. If you don't need to ride the LSL, may I suggest that you schedule your trip on the Capitol Limited between Washington DC and Chicago? That is Superline Equipment and you won't have this dilemma. You would take a Northeast corridor train from NYC to Washington to catch the Capitol. I'd rather take an extra day of travel than sleep in the bathroom.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Shore Limited Sleeper, unwanted "amenity"

I'm taking the trip in December with my sister, first train trip for both. I picked the LSL because I thought it would be more scenic. The other option was the the Cardinal, but the sleeper on the Cardinal is more than twice the price and wouldn't be an option. Also possible is the Northeast Regional + the Capitol Limited. On the LSL, is there a toilet somewhere reasonably close? I'll just keep it closed and enjoy having a sink in the roomette!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
17,274 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Shore Limited Sleeper, unwanted "amenity"

On the Viewliner sleeping car equipment the toilets are in the room. The closest other public toilet will be in a coach car. Either accept it or take a different train with Superliner equipment. Take the Capitol Limited if you can.

MaineUSA
Level Contributor
851 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake Shore Limited Sleeper, unwanted "amenity"

With the exception of during the night, we used the bathrooms in the coaches. They were relatively clean and it gives you a chance to walk around a bit. As Shallow notes, use during the day when travelling with a companion doesn't make for a "Kodak Moment"!!

5. Re: Lake Shore Limited Sleeper, unwanted "amenity"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2013, 10:17