We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

eurostar wrong surname

London
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
eurostar wrong surname

I've booked 6 tickets for eurostar in march next year. I noticed I've put the wrong surname for one of the passengers. I rang eurostar and they said they can't change the name but they can put a note on the booking reference. the woman said it should be fine to travel as this happens a lot. trouble is we won't find out for definite until day of departure. has anyone done something similar and had problems travelling?

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,314 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: eurostar wrong surname

They don't generally check names on tickets. You just put the ticket through an automatic barrier that then opens.

Passport check is completely separate.

London
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: eurostar wrong surname

Thank you for your reply, its put my mind at rest :-)

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee
Level Contributor
52,762 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: eurostar wrong surname

How different is the surname? My friend and I bought return Eurostar tickets for November and December, but she then decided against the December trip. I phoned Eurostar to see if I could change the name on the ticket so my husband or someone else could use it and come with me, and they said no. They were non negotiable, non transferable, non refundable.

The do compare the Eurostar ticket against your passport when you go through passport control at St Pancras, so I assumed they are checking the name is the same.

I would hope that the person you spoke to at Eurostar is correct, but I would phone again to double check for peace of mind.

They definitely ask for the train ticket and Passport together at Eurostar checkin when you go from MLV Chessy/Disneyland, but again I don't know if they are checking the names.

So I went on my own in December, and my friend's ticket was wasted, which was a shame.

Edited: 01 February 2013, 13:25
New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
52,762 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: eurostar wrong surname

I think it might depend on what tickets you bought - yours may be transferable to another person if you didn't buy the cheapest priced ones like we did. At least my friend only lost £69!

London
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: eurostar wrong surname

No mine aren't transferable. I think we are just going to have to wait and see :-) thanks

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: eurostar wrong surname

I am with Rail Enthuiasts earlier reply. For normal check-ins at St Pancras, Gare du Nord, Brussels and Lille Europe the ticket checking and passport control are separate and I have never had to show my passport to a Eurostar official.

London
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: eurostar wrong surname

Thank you :-)

Quainton, United...
Level Contributor
7,623 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: eurostar wrong surname

In theory, tickets aren't transferable and that's what you'll be told if you ask, naturally.

In practice, the automatic checking gates don't smile at you and ask your name, as they are mere machines. If you put a valid ticket in their scanner, the gates open, end of.

Passport control only checks your passport. It's French police who do this at St Pancras, not Eurostar staff, and it's not Police job to check tickets!

I know where the stories of passport checks needing to see your ticket come from, it's the 'Lille Loophole' issue on UK-bound trains from Brussels and Lille to London, where passport staff need to distinguish passengers going to London from passengers from Brussels going to Lille who dont need passports as thats a Shengen journey, it's nothing to do with names.

London
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: eurostar wrong surname

I thought this would be the general case from reading posts in other forums. Thank you :-)

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
52,762 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: eurostar wrong surname

Interesting to read the replies - I did wonder if we would get away with it or not, but didn't want to take the risk. You don't put your ticket through the machine at MLV Chessy - you hand your passport and train ticket to the person on duty at Eurostar check-in , before going through security, and they check them together.

That was my main concern.

Edited: 02 February 2013, 19:01