We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rail Europe vs DB Bahn ....Rail europe is 91$ cheaper

New York, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Rail Europe vs DB Bahn ....Rail europe is 91$ cheaper

I am skeptical, after reading how rail europe is usually more expensive. But I found that a deluxe single sleeper from Copenhagen to Frankfurt for 409$ on rail Europe and 491$ from DB Bahn. It all seems to have the same stations and routing. Advice would be greatly appreciated. Note: rail Europe will not allow me to print the ticket, they must send it to me herein the US

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
14,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rail Europe vs DB Bahn ....Rail europe is 91$ cheaper

>Note: rail Europe will not allow me to print the ticket, they must send it to me herein the US

And how much "shipping and handling fee" do they tack on?

I am a bit sceptical about the sense of paying that much as you could easily fly and pay a hotel for this price and still come out cheaper...

New York, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rail Europe vs DB Bahn ....Rail europe is 91$ cheaper

you are correct about flying, i am just trying to compare apples to apples. Plus its buissness. No fees that i can see all the way up to where I have to put in a credit card.

I re-booked through the DB Bahn again and the price seemed to drop almost identical to rail europe.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10,653 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rail Europe vs DB Bahn ....Rail europe is 91$ cheaper

@Mark S Maybe just currency fluctuations? In any case, the 'Europa Spezial' price for those trains should be fixed. I checked for one date in end of May, the price is € 214 (US$ 276), see my screen capture:

dl.dropbox.com/u/15871959/Europa_Spezial.jpg

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
64,165 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rail Europe vs DB Bahn ....Rail europe is 91$ cheaper

I am sceptical that Eurail is really cheaper than Deutsche Bahn. Could it be that the cheap tickets are not yet available on DB, so the site is only showing the full, walk up fares?

5. Re: Rail Europe vs DB Bahn ....Rail europe is 91$ cheaper

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2014, 04:17