We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stops along the California zephyr worth exploring?

Level Contributor
52 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Stops along the California zephyr worth exploring?

I am planning on embarking on a road trip of sorts through the south across the country to San Fransisco from New York. On my way back I am planning on taking the California zephyr train route, so that I get to see the Midwest. My question is if anybody knows of any stops along the way that are worth exploring a little further? I would just stay in a hotel or hostel for a night or two. The problem is that I do not drive. So, public transportation, walking, maybe a cab or two are my only options.

It does not have to be grandiose, just something that is reprasentative of the atmosphere of the region and fun to spend a day or two at.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
14,952 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stops along the California zephyr worth exploring?

This is asked alot. Type "California Zephyr stops" in the search engine. Without a car I'd suggest Reno Nevada, Glenwood Springs and Denver Colorado and Chicago. Kansas City is missable and there's really nothing across the Great Plains. Many of the small towns in Nebraska and Iowa are car culture places so the downtown areas are nostalgic but not conducive to tourism.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
306 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stops along the California zephyr worth exploring?

It's a great ride, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Chicago is a great city and worth a day or two. Easy public transportation.

Unfortunately, you'll be going though a lot of the 'midwest' in the middle of the night. But Denver is a terrific city with good transportation and Glenwood Springs Colorado is one of my favorites...and the town is walkable from the train station.

It really depends on what you want to see.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
14,952 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stops along the California zephyr worth exploring?

Plan on at least three days in Chicago not including the day of the late afternoon arrival of the Calif Zephyr.

4. Re: Stops along the California zephyr worth exploring?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2014, 05:16