We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking European rail tickets in US?

Brooklyn, New York...
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Booking European rail tickets in US?

Hi,

I live in New York and am trying to book a train trip from Paris to Barcelona (with connection in Figueres) on April 29.

raileurope.com is showing higher fares than tgv-europe.com has available. raileurope.com also has high shipping fees. Even when I select my country as "Afghanistan" or something like that on tgv-europe.com, it won't allow me to select United States as my shipping address. And mailing the tickets is the only option I am being given.

Does anybody have any tips for me to not pay the higher fares and shipping fee on raileurope.com?

Thanks,

Zach

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking European rail tickets in US?

This thread might help:

tripadvisor.com/…48466734

And NEVER use RailEurope or Eurail or any of their clones for tickets. They're just very expensive resellers.

Edited: 02 April 2013, 22:47
England, United...
Level Contributor
4,815 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking European rail tickets in US?

Don;t forget to let your credit card company know if you make an online foreign transaction purchase. Several people from the USA have experienced problems with their cards being refused.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,679 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking European rail tickets in US?

Buy your Paris-Figueres ticket from tgv-europe.com and the Figueres-Barcelona ticket from www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html

That way, you will get both of them as e-tickets. (SNCF will not mail tickets to an address in the USA.)

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
7,924 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking European rail tickets in US?

What Sydneynick said...

And if tgv-Europe gives you any gyp, use www.capitainetrain.com or www.loco2.com instead.

And if renfe.com gives you any gyp, use www.petrabax.com/renfe

5. Re: Booking European rail tickets in US?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2014, 05:15