We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advance tickets from Paris to Basel - July 9th 2013

NJ
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Advance tickets from Paris to Basel - July 9th 2013

Hello Train Experts,

What can I expect to pay for train tickets booked in advance traveling from Paris to Basel in switzerland? I am looking to travel on July 9th, 2013. When I look today I am seeing fares like 290 Euros for 4 of us. Am I seeing this because I am outside the 90 day window as today is only July 5th? Do I buy or wait for lower fares. We are traveling for 3 weeks in Europe and on a budget so trying to get the best fares possible by booking ahead.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Thank You!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,011 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advance tickets from Paris to Basel - July 9th 2013

You can only book from about April 10th for that day. In any case, fares should be better than € 72 you mentioned. Just doing a quick check, the best fares that I can book are:

Tuesday 11th June to Friday 14th June: € 52

Tuesday 18th June to Friday 21st June: € 41

Book with tgv-europe.com/en, specifying collection country as Antarctic, and do not accept if the website redirect you to RailEurope

(you need to search this forum, to see if tgv-europe is able to do a print at home ticket for this route, I can't remember offhand)

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,053 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advance tickets from Paris to Basel - July 9th 2013

Yes, it should do an e-ticket for this, as will www.sbb.ch

Fares start at €25 and rise to over €100, like air fares, book early and avoid busy times such as friday afternoon the cheapest rates.

Booking opens 92 days ahead.

Most trains on this route are 200mph double-deck TGV Duplex, book an upper deck seats for the best views.

NJ
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Advance tickets from Paris to Basel - July 9th 2013

hadiwi56A,

Thanks so much for your reply. You confirmed my suspicion - I am a bit early so I am seeing the higher fares listed for that day. And yes I will book with TGV-Europe and not use US as country of residence.

Cofibean11

NJ
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Advance tickets from Paris to Basel - July 9th 2013

Man_in_seat_61,

Thank so much for your reply and all the information you provide on your site. I will book as soon as I hit my 92 day mark and hopefully get the 25 Euros price or close to that. Looking forward to sitting on the upper deck and enjoying the views.

Cofibean11

Florida
Level Contributor
647 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advance tickets from Paris to Basel - July 9th 2013

This was in the e-mail I received from www.tgv-Europe.com last Thursday. <<Prem's fare, from, per person, for a 2nd class single with TGV or Intercités, from selected cities and to a range of destinations. Offer subject to availability. Tickets are on sale from 4 April, for travel between 4 July and 25 August 2013. >>. I booked 2 tickets yesterday for travel from Zurich to Paris on August 12 for 25 euros per person and today those same tickets are 41 euros per person. Don't postpone if you are sure of your dates and time--just keep in mind the low priced Prem's usually are not changeable.

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advance tickets from Paris to Basel - July 9th 2013

OMG! I could cry right now. I'm so thankful you posted this last message but so so wish that I had read this forum days ago. I've been waiting with baited breath for my 90day window to open. I"ve had it in my calendar the exact stroke of midnight France time that I could book our tickets from Basel to Paris so we could get the lowest rate possible for our family of 5 mid July. I've posted questions about it just to be sure I would do it correctly. Window was supposed to open later this week for outgoing and early next week for incoming back to Switzerland. All that for nothing really.... because I didn't stay on the ball checking every day, I ended up paying over 615euros for a return trip to Paris. I feel so stupid! That's over $400 higher than it would have been otherwise. I guess the only bonus is that I was still able to get seats together! (well pretty much, one seat on the return isn't exactly next to the others but one of the adults will sit there (2 adults 3 young kids). It really could have been worse. And even worse, it could have been sold out completely. But ugh! For anyone out there waiting to book, DON"T!.

NJ
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Advance tickets from Paris to Basel - July 9th 2013

caperjj, don't feel bad. Those low priced tickets must sell out pretty quickly. I was able to get Paris to Basel for 164 Euros for 4 people in second class but we will be catching a 6:15 am train which my teens will not be pleased about. I don't know what happened. I was also checking very frequently but somehow missed the window to buy the cheap tickets for a decent travel time. Now I am waiting for tickets within Italy but cannot purchase any yet for July. Anyone know when that would open??

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
474 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Advance tickets from Paris to Basel - July 9th 2013

I still find tickets for €41.- on Saturday 13.7. for Basel-Paris and for €25.- on 18.7. for Paris-Basel. So this would sum up to only exceptional €330. Though, you would have to adjust your convenient time of travel.

But still, €61 in average for one way, I would still consider a quite a cheap ticket for that distance, IMHO.

The same journey by one standard avarage car would costs you at least €210 (according viamichelin) and excluding rental costs! And it would take at least 6 hours for one way only (instead of totally relaxed 3 hours) - excluding traffics jams! Do not mention the hassle to navigate in Paris itself and to find parking slots and the costs to park them! And finally, but not least, not to speak about all the hassle while driving, especially with kids, and the huge pollution you would contribute by choosing a car.

According to SBB's Ecocalculator you would issue 205kg CO2 (carbo dioxid, greenhouse gas) instead of 9.6kg by train (20 times more!!!). And you would consume 102.8 l (primary energy, converted into litres of petrol) instead of 28.4l.

Quite a gain for our beloved and to be protected world, I would guess ;-)

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advance tickets from Paris to Basel - July 9th 2013

cofibean - you just have to keep checking back. The timetables are subject to change in June and the Italians haven't posted their timetable yet. But in general it is 90 days before travel.

Remember - if you can't buy tickets, nobody can.

Edited: 13 April 2013, 03:19
Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advance tickets from Paris to Basel - July 9th 2013

Thanks cofibean. What threw me off was the tickets going on sale much earlier than the 90 days for tgv to and from Paris. Here's hoping you have better luck with the Italian leg of your vacation.

Maa I wasn't willing to change the times I wished to travel. Based on be times you quoted that would mean leaving Switzerland at night and returning from Paris early morning. We old essentially lose two days in Paris . Besides that the early departure wouldn't work well for my three young children. Even if the amount you quote is cheap in comparison to full fares, it wasn't close o the fare we would have received had the tickets gone on sale at the expected 90 days from departure instead of earlier.

The sting however has left. I'm excitedly planning our trip to Switzerland and Paris!