We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Validation with Rail Passes

Bury St Edmunds...
Level Contributor
45 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Validation with Rail Passes

Hello everyone

I have read a lot about the need to validate tickets prior to train travel. We however have rail passes and some online/ some paper based reservations. Do we need to do anything to validate these other than produce them when requested? I know on the pass we need to fill in dates of use etc .

Many thanks in advance :)

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4,034 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Validation with Rail Passes

No, as your post suggests, you just need to follow instructions for filling out the dates on the pass. And reservations are for specific trains so do not need to be validated. Essentially, the rule of thumb is validate any ticket that is generic, i.e. not attached to a specific train or time.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
17,272 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Validation with Rail Passes

This is an international forum. Which country's passes are you asking about? It has been noted on this forum that improperly filled out passes country to country in Europe can invalidate your entire ticket. You might do a search for for pass validation.

MaineUSA
Level Contributor
851 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Validation with Rail Passes

We had to validate our Eurail pass prior to the first use. In our case we did it at the ticket office in the Munich airport. They filled in our passport numbers and then stamped the pass. On each day we traveled we filled in the date and it was cancelled by the conductor when he cheecked the ticket.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
95,614 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Validation with Rail Passes

>>the rule of thumb is validate any ticket that is generic, i.e. not attached to a specific train or time.<<

In France, all tickets (except e-tickets) must be validated, even if they are for a specific train. This is to prevent the holder asking for a refund.

The point is that there is no general rule. Each country (even each operator) is different.

5. Re: Validation with Rail Passes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2014, 05:17