We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with rail passes, tickets etc. Paging Man in Seat 61?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Topic
Help with rail passes, tickets etc. Paging Man in Seat 61?

I am trying to decide how many days for a rail pass I should get. I am thinking of getting a bahn pass for Germany and for the trip to Aachen from the Brussels airport and from Germany to Rheims, France and a separate pass for France and Belgium.

Here is my itinerary:

Day 1: Landing in Brussels: Aachen & Cologne

Day 2: Trier

Day 3: Mainz

Day 4: Nuremburg

Day 5: Nuremburg, Rothenburg ob der Tauber, back to Nuremburg for the night

Day 6: Salzburg, then to Augsburg for the night

Day 7: Munich

Day 8: Munich

Day 9: Augsburg to Fussen then Overnight train to Triberg im Schwartzwald either from Fussen or Augsburg.

Day 10 Triberg, Alpirsbach (staying in Triberg) Konus

Day 11 Freidburg or Basel (staying in Triberg) Konus

Day 12 Basel or Freidburg (staying in Triberg) Konus

Day 13 Black Forest or Stuttgart: Overnight train to Rheims, France

Day 14 Rhemis Cathedral, France to Chartres Cathedral to Paris

Day 15 Paris, France

Day 16 Paris, France

Day 17 Rouen, France

Day 18 to Ghent, Belgium, to Brussels, Belgium to the Brussels Airport at night.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with rail passes, tickets etc. Paging Man in Seat 61?

Since much of the German trips can be covered with the Bayern Ticket, I'm not sure a rail pass would be better. Would you be able to buy advance tickets on the non-Bavarian routes or do you need flexibility in travel?

A rail pass definitely would not be a good idea for France.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with rail passes, tickets etc. Paging Man in Seat 61?

Flexibility would be nice. If I could save money by booking only point to point tickets that would be great, I'm just afraid of having to use the ticket on a set time and having to rush things or miss my train.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with rail passes, tickets etc. Paging Man in Seat 61?

A 3 day pass averages out to 63€/day, a 4 day pass to 50€/day. You can look up point to point on bahn.de to compare the costs and see what advance tickets would cost.

Remember that journey 2-3 and 4-8 could be covered by Laender Tickets, though these have to be used on regional (not intercity) trains and only after 9am on weekdays:

bahn.com/i/…bavaria-ticket.shtml

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
48,343 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with rail passes, tickets etc. Paging Man in Seat 61?

A pass is definitely not a good idea for France or the international journeys to and from that country. It will not include the reservations which are compulsory for most long distance trains. These you have to arrange and pay for yourself. Also, they are quota controlled, so you might find that all available seats for pass holders have been sold.

Best buy point to point tickets b ut beware that the very cheapest are non refundable and non exchangeable should your plans change or you miss a train.

Florida
Level Contributor
647 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with rail passes, tickets etc. Paging Man in Seat 61?

Go to this link for Laender ticket information which are all day travel passes for regional trains and buses and many places like Munich including the local transportation from only 22 euros for travel beginning at 9:00 to 3 in the morning on weekdays or from midnight on weekends which is good on the trips where you want to leave before 9:00.

bahn.de/i/…laender-ticket.shtml

I would use the Rhineland-Palatinate Laender ticket for your travel day from Trier to Mainz so that you can hop on and off wherever you want at all the wonderful little towns along the Mosel and the Rhine River. Especially since from Cochem to Mainz, specifically between St Goar and Bacharach, you will find the greatest concentration of castles which you may want to stop and explore, renting a bike or do a Mosel or Rhine cruise to view the castles on your way to Mainz.

From Nuremburg you could use an all day Bayern Laender ticket to explore Rothenburg, Bamberg, Regensburg, Bayreuth, and Wuerzburg. Definitely change day 6 since many people do Salzburg, Fuessen, Augsburg, and Ulm with the Bayern Laender ticket with Munich as their home base. You can train Ulm to Triberg in only 3 hrs with a Baden-Wuerttemberg Laender ticket which can be used all day throughout that German state even down to the first station over the border which includes Basel.

Laender tickets don't change in price before your day of travel so you can wait and buy them just prior to leaving if you want. Your longer trips between German states like from Cologne would be less money if you would commit to a day and time of travel like you do with plane tickets and buy them online 2 or 3 months before travel at www.bahn.de and print them. Always inform your credit card company when making a foreign purchase so the charge won't be denied and always use a credit card that doesn't charge fees for international purchases.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with rail passes, tickets etc. Paging Man in Seat 61?

Does anyone know of a DETAILED map showing exactly where all the regional areas covered for the Laender tickets. I have checked the site mentioned above but it is vague as to where the regions are exactly (meaning towns that are covered).

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,213 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with rail passes, tickets etc. Paging Man in Seat 61?

See my reply to your other post, and here is another map for Saxony state

bahn.de/regional/view/mdb/pv/deutschland_erl…

Basically, you have to do this for every State in Germany

Florida
Level Contributor
647 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with rail passes, tickets etc. Paging Man in Seat 61?

Hadiwi56a,

How do you find the maps for each of the German states? I went to www.bahn.de but could not figure out how to get the detailed train map for each state. Thanks for your posts.

Florida
Level Contributor
647 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with rail passes, tickets etc. Paging Man in Seat 61?

I just found the answer to my question above (post 8) in abalada's post 5 on this thread - tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12483-k6945499…

Edited: 27 October 2013, 21:50
10. Re: Help with rail passes, tickets etc. Paging Man in Seat 61?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2014, 04:16