We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train travel Heathrow airport to Southampton docks

Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Topic
train travel Heathrow airport to Southampton docks

on August 17,2013 need to travel Heathrow airport to Southampton docks to get a cruise ship. Eurail and Britrail make this trip only from Woking. One must catch a bus to Woking. I did train all the way 4 years ago. Have things changed? Does a train still run? How and where? Thanks, Carol

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,114 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train travel Heathrow airport to Southampton docks

Check on NationalRal.co.uk and ignore Eurail or Britrail.

AFAICS there are routes available on that day via Heathrow Express; so unless your route planner is exclduing the HX for some reason and the bus is the next fastest option I don't know.

My first thought for a bus would be engineering work, but I can't see any on National Rail.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
52,361 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train travel Heathrow airport to Southampton docks

There has never been a direct train from Heathrow Airport to anywhere other than London Paddington, but it's possible that you went into London, across to Waterloo station from Paddington, and down to Southampton from there, but that is a bit of a detour.

You may also have caught a tube (London Underground) train into London, and changed for Waterloo somewhere like Earl's Court..

The quickest option, which is what all travel planners normally bring up, is via the coach link to Woking. The problem is that there is nowhere to collect or buy a ticket for the journey on arrival at Heathrow.

My recommendation, unusually for me, would be to consider taking a National Express coach directly from the airport to Southampton. It is less hassle with the luggage that you will probably have with you for your vacation.

Just out of itnerest, whichc ruise will you be going on? We will be departing Southampton on Aug 3rd!

Edited: 05 June 2013, 23:50
Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: train travel Heathrow airport to Southampton docks

We are taking the Cunard line, Queen Elizabeth, to St. Petersburg. When we took the Cunard provided connecting bus several years ago the seats were very small, too small for my 6'1" husband. He had to stick his legs into the aisle. Do you know how the seats are on the National Express coach? I will Google them to get price and time but the seats are also important.

What ship are you taking? CarolC.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,526 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: train travel Heathrow airport to Southampton docks

< Eurail and Britrail make this trip only from Woking >

Eurail & Britrail are agencies, they do not run trains.

If you go to the Southampton forum on the UK branch you will find numerous postings about getting between Heathrow & Southampton but as others have said taking the National Express coach is the least hassle

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train travel Heathrow airport to Southampton docks

The National Rail Enquiries site throws up a number of options by rail:

…nationalrail.co.uk/service/…dep

(I've set a departure time from Heathrow of noon which you'll probably need to adjust for your own search.)

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train travel Heathrow airport to Southampton docks

It occurs to me that on your preious trip you may have flown into Gatwick, which does have direct trains to Southampton, rather than Heathrow.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: train travel Heathrow airport to Southampton docks

You can buy combined tickets for coach and rail at the Natonal Express desks at Heathrow, but you can't collect pre booked tickets.

8. Re: train travel Heathrow airport to Southampton docks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2014, 07:17