We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RER (Train) from Roissy CDG To Paris

RER (Train) from Roissy CDG To Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2016, 22:30
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
48,302 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RER (Train) from Roissy CDG To Paris

Unfortunately it is not uncommon in and around Paris, especially at the big stations, to find half the ticket machines not working and no ticket office. Typical of a state run enterprise that places customer care rather lower down the scale than cutting costs.

You will find that Amex is not widely accepted in some areas of France owing to high transaction charges levied on retailers.

Florida
Level Contributor
647 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RER (Train) from Roissy CDG To Paris

The ticket counter at terminal 2 is usually crowded but you can take the CDGVAL over to the RER station at terminal 3 in only 5 minutes and it is less crowded. We didn't have change or a chip and signature credit card on our last visit to Paris so when we saw the long ticket line at the terminal 2 RER station where our plane arrived we followed Rick Steve's suggestion and headed to the terminal 3 station where there was only a short quickly moving line.

This month when we arrive at CDG we will each have our Chase chip and signature card to use in France's machines but we will instead be taking the the Roissy bus into Paris, not the higher priced Air France bus. We'll take the Roissy bus and pay the driver as described below and go to the Opera house from where we'll take the metro just a few stops to our hotel. If we took the Air France bus we would have to change metro trains to get to our hotel. You mention in your post not taking public transportation if you have large or several suitcases but we learned a long time ago how much better travel in Europe is when you travel light. I take a small back pack and at times sit it on my husband's small roller bag. We will be in 4 countries this summer and saving a lot of money by taking public transportation.

We have learned how easy it is to download and find information on iBooks so we can even travel lighter. Recently we downloaded 3 Rick Steve's guidebooks on my iPad and my husband's iPod which are things we always travel with in order to have books to read, the web and e-mails. It costs a lot less to download iBooks, including travel guidebooks, than buy the bulky hard copy books. I hope travelers will go to the following link and learn other ways to travel light and enjoy the wonderful public transportation in France like the RER trains, public bus system and the metro in Paris without the burden and expense of so much luggage. www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/tips_menu.htm,

CDG to Paris from Rick Steve's: “By Bus: Roissy-Buses make the 50-minute trip to the Opéra Métro stop in central Paris, arriving on Rue Scribe. From there, it’s an easy Métro ride to anywhere in the city. To get to the Métro entrance or nearest taxi stand, turn left as you exit the bus and walk counterclockwise around the lavish Opéra building to its front (€10, runs 6:00-23:00, 4/hour until 20:45, 3/hour after that, 50 minutes, buy ticket on bus).

“Les Cars” Air France buses run at least twice hourly from 5:45 until 23:00 (tel. 08 92 35 08 20). Bus #2 goes to the Etoile stop on Rue Carnot, near the Arc de Triomphe (€16.50, 45 minutes)” Excerpt From: Rick Steves & Steve Smith. “Rick Steves' France 2013.” Avalon Travel, 2012. iBooks. Check out this book on the iBookstore: https:/…

Edited: 29 June 2013, 01:36
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,136 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RER (Train) from Roissy CDG To Paris

Chip and signature cards will not work in most French machines, as they need a chip and PIN card: you have to enter a PIN for the machine to work.

However, any US credit card should work in the ticket machines at the RER stations at CDG, as they are among the few vending machines that will accept a magnetic stripe card without a PIN.

I actually have chip and PIN cards, but for some reason in France they function as chip and signature cards, and I cannot use them in ticket machines or fuel pumps.

Florida
Level Contributor
647 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RER (Train) from Roissy CDG To Paris

Thanks Sydneynick! Chip cards and Chip and Signature cards are new in the US and I didn't know the difference. My husband and I both bring our debit card and a couple of our regular credit cards that don't have international fees and so we had planned to bring other credit cards anyway. If you had not let me know the difference in the chip cards we would be wondering why our cards wouldn't work.

By the way I purchased my train tickets for Italy and France with 2 different credit cards and I was trying to remember if those were the countries that the train conductors require you to show the credit card used along with your tickets or was that Germany. I used a credit card for the France train tickets that charged an international fee so I would like to just leave that credit card at home.

I appreciate your great travel information on this site! I have learned a lot. I found this article after you pointed out the difference in the chip cards. cardhub.com/edu/…

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,136 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RER (Train) from Roissy CDG To Paris

If you have print-at-home e-tickets, you will not need your credit card. It is needed in France if you have to collect your ticket at a ticket counter.

I would suggest you take both credit cards with you, just in case one gets lost or is blocked by your bank. (Remember to tell your bank that you will be in Europe.)

One wedding anniversary, we went on a week-long trip around country Victoria. After the first night, I went to pay the hotel bill and my card was not accepted. On enquiring at a local branch of my bank, I was told that the card had been cancelled because of (genuine) fraudulent charges. Apart from some items paid in cash, all the trip expenses had to go on my wife's card, which did not much amuse her.

6. Re: RER (Train) from Roissy CDG To Paris

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,136 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: RER (Train) from Roissy CDG To Paris

Ummm. The RER trains and their tickets are the responsibility of RATP, not SNCF.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: RER (Train) from Roissy CDG To Paris

Always always take the Roissey Bus its 10 euros and its pretty much non-stop to Opera. As for the train its a bit sketchy and dark.

As for things not working...welcome to France its pretty standard!

9. Re: RER (Train) from Roissy CDG To Paris

10. Re: RER (Train) from Roissy CDG To Paris

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 01 July 2014, 06:20