We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to Paris with a Greek Identity card

London
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
London to Paris with a Greek Identity card

Hi there,

In a couple of weeks time I will be traveling with a friend from London to Paris on the Eurostar. He has a Greek National ID card which he assumes will be enough to travel with. The Eurostar website however states

"All passengers, including infants, are required to have either their own valid passport. (or national identity card for French and Belgium passengers) "

The National ID is only specified here for French and Belgium but not other countries. Is there anyone who has traveled recently on the eurostar from London to Paris using a National ID card from either Greece or another EEA country who can confirm if it is ok?

Many thanks

JImmy

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: London to Paris with a Greek Identity card

It's not the Eurostar who decides what documents are valid for international travel - it's the governments of the countries involved. National ID cards issued by EU/EEA countries are valid travel documents anywhere in the EU/EEA.

…wikipedia.org/wiki/National_identity_cards_…

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,997 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London to Paris with a Greek Identity card

But Eurostar can choose to make additional conditions for people who wish to use their services.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: London to Paris with a Greek Identity card

Yes, they can make additional conditions but NOT with regard to travel documents - that would mean violation of EU laws. I think the whole problem is that the British generally do not understand how national ID cards work. ID cards are perfectly acceptable travel documents within Europe. I travel more often with my ID card than passport - passports are just too clumsy and do not fit in the wallet. Even the UK Border Agency has no issue with my ID card so why would the Eurostar?

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,997 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London to Paris with a Greek Identity card

Identity cards may be valid travel documents as far as EU governments are concerned for border control but that does not mean that Eurostar cannot impose additional requirements.

What law do you think Eurostar are violating? Hint: Treaties between governments are not binding on individual citizens (including companies) unless enacted into domestic law.

Possibly only French and Belgian ID cards have bilingual (with English) printing and other countries' cards are native-language only?

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: London to Paris with a Greek Identity card

Why is it always so difficult to google even some basic info on ID cards (and that includes scans of Greek ID cards) before posting?

http://europa.eu/travel/doc/

…homeoffice.gov.uk/customs-travel/…

(See "We also accept national identity cards for EEA citizens.")

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_identity_card

Edited: 06 July 2013, 14:08
London
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London to Paris with a Greek Identity card

re: Ozzlem - I did google for information on ID cards and found the very same links you have provided. They however contradict what is on the eurostar website and the email I recieved from eurostar which states

"“We only accept passports and French and Belgian national ID Cards, so this passenger will need to travel with their passport.”

The reason I posted on here (as I asked in the original post) was for someone who had direct experience of using the eurostar with an ID card or could explain this difference. The home office link is not very helpful as I stated this is for travel from London to Paris and not the other way around.

Thanks bobelinks it seems on further digging that the passport requirement is not of the French border police but for Eurostar to identify their customers. I am going to visit St.Pancras today to try and clarify.

Edited: 06 July 2013, 16:20
Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: London to Paris with a Greek Identity card

JimmyRho, my last post was not addressed at you, no need to take offence. When you at St Pancras make sure that you speak to a UKBA officer and not some half-wit from the Eurostar like the one who posted that nonsense info on the Eurostar website.

Edited: 06 July 2013, 16:27
London
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London to Paris with a Greek Identity card

No problem. I will update on here once I get some clarity from Eurostar. I am hoping that it is simply a mistake on the website as I cannot see how they can enforce this (even if they do claim it is for ID purposes!)

Edited: 06 July 2013, 16:30
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
19,724 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London to Paris with a Greek Identity card

At St Pancras you will actually encounter French Border Control, who will clear you for entry to France (and the Schengen Zone).

In fact Eurostar are not involved in the immigration process at all, you are not required to show ID to any Eurostar employee.

London
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London to Paris with a Greek Identity card

For those still interested I visited St.Pancras yesterday and the staff at the gate confirmed that it is fine to use identity cards. They agreed that the website is currently inaccurate and that the information provided by their support team is wrong. Hopefully this will now be ammended. Thanks for the help... panic over :)