We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Balkan - which countries have best developed rail network?

Roermond, The...
Level Contributor
248 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Balkan - which countries have best developed rail network?

Hi,

We're considering a few countries in the Balkan for our holiday next summer. We plan to fly there and travel by public transport. I dislike buses and like trains, so I'd like to travel by train as much as possible. Which Balkan countries have the best developed rail network (comfortable travelling options, reasonably punctual, trains throughout the whole or large parts of the country etc.)?

Countries we are considering are among others Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia, Serbia, Macedonia and Montenegro.

Thanks!

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,687 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Balkan - which countries have best developed rail network?

I suggest that you have a look at the following site for the extent of RR networks first of all.

http://www.bueker.net/trainspotting/maps.php

Then consult timetables to see the frequency of trains.

I think you'll find that the RR network is rather sparse. Also, many trains are very slow by Western European standards.

Have you considered Hungary instead?

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
7,915 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Balkan - which countries have best developed rail network?

Romania probably has the most dense and frequent network.

Serbia has some great runs, notably the famous Belgrade-Podgorica-Bar (Montenegro) railway, a spectacular ride through the mountains.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
46,962 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Balkan - which countries have best developed rail network?

Slovenia and Croatia have fairly modern systems.

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Balkan - which countries have best developed rail network?

Slovenia is a marvellous country to tour by train though the weekend services are sparse.

Most of the lines are very scenic and the fares very reasonable.

Croatia has a well developed rail network but is currently facing many cuts to services.

Serbia has many rail lines but the rail network is poorly maintained and services are slow.

The other countries on your list can be reached by rail or the capitals have rail services but there are few other lines.

Roermond, The...
Level Contributor
248 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Balkan - which countries have best developed rail network?

Thanks for your replies. That website is very handy!

I did not yet consider Hungary or Romania, but they sure are possible options for us as well. Thanks :)

Bydgoszcz
Level Contributor
1,028 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Balkan - which countries have best developed rail network?

I travelled Budapest-Zagreb-Sarajevo-Mostar-Ploce, and Split-Zagreb-Budapest a few weeks ago. Trains become more sparse as you travel south, and air-conditioning was non-existant, but overall it was an enjoyable trip with no problems.

The line from Sarajevo to Mostar has some spectacular scenery.

Remember that some of these countries are not in the EU, and the ban on smoking in trains does not apply. In Bosnia it was just awful--thank goodness that it was summer and all the windows were open!

Regards,

Jeffrey Dobek

Polrail Service

7. Re: Balkan - which countries have best developed rail network?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2014, 06:21