We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amtrak - Penn Station luggage question

Upstate NY
Level Contributor
205 posts
175 reviews
Save Topic
Amtrak - Penn Station luggage question

Will be arriving from Albany into Penn Station and from there taking the Crescent service to New Orleans. My question - the station in Albany/Rensselaer doesn't check luggage, so we will have our suitcases on board with us into New York. Upon arriving in Penn Station, where do we go to check our luggage for the Crescent train? Our connection time is just slightly over an hour so I'd like to know what I need to do before arriving there! Is this enough of a connection time, or should I consider taking an earlier train from Alb to NY? I should mention that we have a sleeper/bedroom on the Crescent - don't know if this makes any difference in dealing with our luggage? Many thanks to anyone who can share some info.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
16,331 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amtrak - Penn Station luggage question

Do you have baggage to check or will you want to take it to your bedroom? Do you have a roomette with no room for luggage or a deluxe bedroom with room for a couple of small case less than 9" deep so they slide under the couch and one 24"x 18"x 16" bag that will fit in the niche over the door ( you have to lift it above your head). There are variables. You can check your luggage up to 1/2 hr before train time at the Amtrak ticket/baggage window. It helps to pack just a couple of small bags to take on the train with you and to check large bags. You can also find a redcap in Penn Station to take your luggage and assist you onto the train (pre-board). An hour is enough time if you are arriving on a commuter train and leaving on a train that originates in PNY. If you are taking the Lake Shore Ltd, that is a long distance train that can run late. To make train travel easy; don't use steamer trunks and hat boxes.

Edited: 29 August 2013, 16:01
New Hampshire
Level Contributor
309 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amtrak - Penn Station luggage question

Albany does allow checked baggage. We've done it ourselves, and I just checked the Amtrak website and confirmed it.

We've also checked baggage through to our next train in Chicago, no problem. New York should be the same.

Have a good trip.

Edited: 29 August 2013, 19:18
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
16,331 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amtrak - Penn Station luggage question

@ luvtotravel. I think that you will find that only the Lakeshore limited through Albany has a baggage car and baggage check service at Albany. The 7 Empire Service trains do not and the trains that cross into Canada (Maple Leaf and Adirondak) do not. You took the Lakeshore Ltd to Chicago so your train had baggage service.

Edited: 29 August 2013, 19:26
New Hampshire
Level Contributor
309 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amtrak - Penn Station luggage question

Thanks so much for correcting my mistake.

I'm certainly aware that commuter trains we have here on the east coast don't have checked bags, but I didn't realize other lines might not have them as well.

Is there ample room above the seats on these trains, or is it like Europe where there is luggage storage at the end of each car?

Upstate NY
Level Contributor
205 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amtrak - Penn Station luggage question

To Shallow Shoals - We will want to check our two large (24 x 18 x 16) suitcases upon arriving in Penn Station. We do have the larger bedroom (not the roomette) but will both have smaller carry ons - so checking the 2 other suitcases is a must! Where would we locate the redcaps upon arrival - that sounds like the easiest way to handle this, if I'm reading your reply correctly. Sounds like that would bypass having to wait in line at the ticket/baggage window??? We will be taking the Crescent, not the Lake Shore Ltd.

Washington State
Level Contributor
801 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amtrak - Penn Station luggage question

You CAN check your bags, but you will need to check them the day before by about 2pm in time for the Lakeshore if you want them when you arrive in New Orleans at the same time you do. They'll be put on 48, go to New York and be held overnight, and be put on the 19 which you are on.

Amtrak does not have an airline-like rule about the bag being on the same train you are. In fact, sometimes bags are routed differently than the passenger is, if the passenger is not going by the most direct route.

Bottom line. Amtrak wil accept your bags at Albany, since Albany is a station with baggage service and your destination also has baggage service, but you'll have to be aware of the trains which carry baggage and plan accordingly. In this case, check them a day early. Going the other way, from the schedule it looks like the bag might make the connection between 20 and 49, 39 minutes, but the smart move would be to check them the day before. If they make that connection, they'd just be held securely in Albany's baggage at no charge for you to pick up the next day when you arrive.

Edited: 29 August 2013, 23:41
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
16,331 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Amtrak - Penn Station luggage question

Luvtotravel was referring to the Lake Shore not you. You'll probably be on the Empire Service train #280 at 10:am and have 1.25 hrs layover at NYP. The Crescent will board at 1:45. You may find a redcap on the platform when #280 arrives but definitely in or near the Amtrak corral when you come up the escalator from the platform. The redcap will assist you in checking your luggage onto the Crescent and then assist loading you and your carry-ons on board. Tip them nicely

Upstate NY
Level Contributor
205 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Amtrak - Penn Station luggage question

Thank you all for your assistance with your replies!

9. Re: Amtrak - Penn Station luggage question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2014, 06:20