We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Britrail passes

Newfoundland, Canada
5 posts
Save Topic
Britrail passes

If we buy Britrail passes, are they accepted on all railways in England? We're thinking of from London to Crewkerne, or Taunton, Somerset.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,778 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Britrail passes

It is valid on all UK railways except heritage and tourist lines (often steam-operated), and urban transport that is not part of National Rail.

If the route appears in this website, you can use the pass on it:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

But you might want to check whether a pass is worth having. If all you are doing is London to Crewkerne or Taunton, you will be throwing money away.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,303 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Britrail passes

If you book in advance, you can get great prices on a no-refunds, no-changes basis.

If you book Taunton to London at www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk (the operator's own site) they'll even give an extra 10% off.

Taunton -London is high-speed (well, by UK standards, 125mph), Crewekerne -London is the slower 90mph route.

Newfoundland, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Britrail passes

Thanks for your reply. I mentioned London-Crewkerne because I figured it was a smaller railway. We may also be going Manchester-Liverpool-London. I'll check out that link.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,495 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Britrail passes

London - Crewkerne is a very nice ride through some interesting and scenic areas. The trains are modern diesel cars and as mentioned are running at 90mph.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,725 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Britrail passes

A BR pass can either be a savings or a money sink, depending on how one uses it. For almost all people, it's a loss - point-to point tickets in advance can be far cheaper as indicated in post #2.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
56,390 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Britrail passes

The big advantage of the Britrial pass, or any rail pass for that matter, is the flexibility it allows. The travelelr can Cheapd advance tickets ar enot available for every point to point flow, and if used during peak travel times they can be an affordable option compared to walk up fares.

For someone doing a lot of travelling, they may also work out as the ebst option. For example, London to Leeds one day during the afternoon peak, followed by a couple of days sightseeing by train over the scenic Settle and Carlisle line, then down the West Coast tracks and back across the Pennines, and a trip out to York and Scarbrough, followed by a trip up to Scotland, might also be worthwhile.

However, I agree that for most people, who would only use the pass for a couple of point to point journeys from one main tourist base to another, for example London to York, where travel plans are known well in advance anyway, then they will usually work out to be poor value.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,774 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Britrail passes

Advance tickets on East Midlands Trains and First Transpennine train services from Manchester to Liverpool can be bought for as little as £4 or £5.

Otherwise a off peak single which you can use on any train service from Manchester to Liverpool (including Northern Rail, although I would recommend that you avoid their services) is only £11.50.

Advance tickets from Liverpool to London on Virgin Trains services cost as little as £12.50.

So, as already recommended above, use the www.nationalrail.co.uk website and work out your itinerary and how much it will cost.

I'm confident that it will work out cheaper for you to buy point-to-point tickets.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
56,390 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Britrail passes

Yes, in this instance, as with most visitors, I am also confident that point to point advance tickets will be cheaper.

I just wanted to try and illustrate that in a minority of cases the passes cna actually work out. I wouldn't want anyone reading the thread to assume that passes are automatically always a bad idea.

People should still work out the maths for their particular travel plans, and be aware of the T&C's of Advance tickets.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,209 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Britrail passes

>>If you book in advance, you can get great prices on a no-refunds, no-changes basis.<<

Not quite true. Changes are allowed on a limited basis, namely the date and time, with a £10 fee per ticket plus whatever the difference in price is. And this is for Advance tickets, a specific ticket type.

Edited: 07 September 2013, 16:58
10. Re: Britrail passes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2014, 05:16