We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Euro and Asia rail trip

Peterlee, United...
10 posts
Save Topic
Euro and Asia rail trip

HI, In January I will be embarking on a journey accross europe (netherlands, belgium, germany, czech republic, poland, lithuania, latvia) then into russia (st petes, Moscow) and onto the trans siberian train stopping off at various places (yekaterinburg, irkutsk, ulan ude, ulaan baatar) and then finishing in beijing. And finally Japan for 12 days.

My first question is what is my best option for using my phone while i'm away travelling? can anyone recomend a sim card I could obtain that will allow me to use my phone in all these different countries?

Also would it be advisable for me to buy a special credit card or currency card? Or am i ok withdrawing money using my bank card in all these places?

Also any other advice from people who have done something something similar would be greatly appreciated

Thank you in advance

Martin

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,979 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Euro and Asia rail trip

Most simcards will work in all of these countries.

All EU/EEA sim cards are capped when it comes to roaming charges within the EU/EEA-area. Upon entering Russia roaming prices will skyrocket - so getting a Russian sim card is advisable (ask on the Russia-forum for further information).

In Europe and Japan you'll have no problems with withdrawing cash from cash points or using a normal bank card or credit card to do transactions. Unless staying long in each country it will be prudent to stay away from cash as much as possible as you'll be experiencing many different currencies on your journey (€, Zloty, Lats, Litas, Koruna, Ruble, Tögrög and Yen).

I usually travel with a debit card (Visa) and two credit cards (Visa and Mastercard). Never bothered with currency cards, pre paid credit cards or the like as they cost money to get, use and also in some cases charge to refund the balance. Debit card is used for withdrawing local currency and the credit cards (kept separately) are used for purchases, hotel rooms, car hire etc.

I would guess having cash in hand would be advisable on the Trans-Siberian, withdraw in St.Pet and/or Moscow. In Ulaanbaatar there are 188 cash points who accept Mastercard/Maestro/Cirrus and probably also Visa - the locator service on Mastercard webpage can be of some help locating them - http://www.mastercard.co.uk/atm-locator.html

2. Re: Euro and Asia rail trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2014, 06:20