We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southern Railways

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,115 posts
782 reviews
Save Topic
Southern Railways

I purchased tickets from London Victoria to Brighton for 64 pounds or something in July for a September trip from Southern Railways. For an urgent matter, I had to cancel the trip. I checked the Southern's website to cancel the tickets and found out that I could get full refund without any fee. The website provided the instruction that I needed to send tickets to Southern Railways for them to process after applying for the refund.

Later, I found out from the credit card statement that they reimbursed only 52 pounds instead of 64 quids. I sent enquiry in the beginning of October and today I got a response from Southern mentioning that they had to deduct the fee as tickets were printed out. I felt quite misguided by their instruction as it required me to print out tickets and attach them to the application fee.

I sent back to Southern to complain that it is total misguidance and unfair for them to penalise to follow their instruction.

Has anyone had a similar experience? I appreciate for any advise.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,659 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Southern Railways

I presume you are referring to Southern's 'Money Back Guarantee', which states clearly that you do NOT print off the tickets. This ONLY applies to tickets booked online, and you DON'T collect the tickets but go into 'My Account' and click on 'Refund', use 'Money Back Guarantee' as the reason.

All this information is on Southern's 'Money Back Guarantee' webpage: southernrailway.com/offers/…

Because you printed off the tickets and submitted those for a refund via the standard procedures they became subject to the usual administration fees. Here's the relevant webpage: southernrailway.com/tickets-and-fares/…

Sorry if you felt misled, but these are the Terms and Conditions.

Edited: 30 October 2013, 07:37
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,115 posts
782 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Southern Railways

Yes, that's what I did on "money guarantee" scheme of Southern.

However, after I requested refund online, I was led to a site asking me to send in the "printed tickets" attached to a form for them to process the refund. If I was not led to this site, I would just leave it.

3. Re: Southern Railways

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2014, 04:17