We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

amtrack carry on luggage size limit - flexible or policed??

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Topic
amtrack carry on luggage size limit - flexible or policed??

Hi there

I'm travelling from NY to Washington and have noted the amtrack carry on specifications for luggage is 550mm x 350mm x 700mm

I have luggage that is 510mm x 290mm x 730mm.

Overall its undersize BUT the length is 730mm - being 30mm too big

Anyone know if Amtrack regulate this tightly or do they not closely check / measure carryon luggage .....

wondering if they will reject our luggage at boarding because its 30mm too long.....

cheers

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,604 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: amtrack carry on luggage size limit - flexible or policed??

You'll be fine.

On paper, Amtrak's carry-on policy prevents anyone using their trains between Washington, NYC and Boston, unless they are travelling with no more than a briefcase!

In reality, Amtrak sensibly ignore their own policy, so people can travel on these trains with normal suitcases and stuff, just like on any train in Europe or anywhere else. As long as you respect the two bags per person rule, that is. Size and weight don't seem to matter much.

I really wonder why Amtrak don't have a 'carry on policy for trains where there's checked baggage for your big bags' and a separate more generous 'carry-on policy for trains where there's no checked baggage so you HAVE to take your big bags with you into the train'.

I spotted this problem myself when I was travelling with my family in 2010, as a long-haul traveller from the UK I naturally needed to take bigger long-haul luggage, not just a briefcase. I queried this with an Amtrak exec I knew. He actually told me they ignore their own policy!

Edited: 06 November 2013, 11:44
Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,324 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: amtrack carry on luggage size limit - flexible or policed??

The only problem you may have is finding a spot in the luggage rack. The policy is not enforced between Washington and Boston. I've seen all manner of large items on the train. Golf bags, double bass fiddles, architectural models.... All much larger than the posted limit.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
16,508 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: amtrack carry on luggage size limit - flexible or policed??

You'll be fine. They are not going to measure your luggage.

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
645 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: amtrack carry on luggage size limit - flexible or policed??

You are unlikely to want to pug huge bags on the luggage racks. Look for dedicated luggage spaces at ends of trains, or "sneak space" behind the last row of seats, or elsewhere.. Or take a train with checked baggage service (they exist on the NY to DC route).

5. Re: amtrack carry on luggage size limit - flexible or policed??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 November 2014, 05:18