We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Victoria/Gatwick twice the price of Victoria/Brighton

Surbiton
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Victoria/Gatwick twice the price of Victoria/Brighton

Out of curiosity I looked at the price of getting from London to Gatwick by train. The cost was £16.60 single (two adults, one railcard), the same for a return. This surprised me, since we paid £8.30 for London to Brighton each way a couple of weeks ago.

Putting it in as one adult for a single, I got prices of £10 London/Gatwick and £5 for London/Brighton.

This just seems ridiculous. And I assume, since Advance tickets don't allow break of journey, I could neither leave nor board the train at Gatwick. Because the barriers wouldn't accept the ticket - not simply because I'd be in breach of contract.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
45,555 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Victoria/Gatwick twice the price of Victoria/Brighton

You get the good deals for places people don't want to go. Same as with airlines.

Surbiton
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Victoria/Gatwick twice the price of Victoria/Brighton

I know what you mean, but I'd have expected Brighton to be popular. Although that's possibly only weekends and summer.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,511 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Victoria/Gatwick twice the price of Victoria/Brighton

Mileage-based fares? How terribly old-fashioned!

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises
Level Contributor
45,851 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Victoria/Gatwick twice the price of Victoria/Brighton

Indeed! Such pricing was done away with in the 1960's. It has been market pricing ever since, and tickets to airports have been priced higher since BR days.

Surbiton
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Victoria/Gatwick twice the price of Victoria/Brighton

The pricing's really weird. When I went to Brighton, it was £5 from either London Victoria or East Croydon. However, a ticket from East Croydon to Gatwick is only £4.50, compared to the £10 from Victoria.

Which means I can board the train at Victoria using my Freedom Pass (valid to EC), and get off at Gatwick with a ticket from East Croydon.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises
Level Contributor
45,851 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Victoria/Gatwick twice the price of Victoria/Brighton

This is the wonderful world of UK railway ticketing, where logic takes a back seat!

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Victoria/Gatwick twice the price of Victoria/Brighton

Actually with a Freedom Pass, you only need a ticket from the end of Zone 6 (Couldon South) to Gatwick which will be less than from East Croydon just as long as you do not catch the Gatwick Express.

Surbiton
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Victoria/Gatwick twice the price of Victoria/Brighton

You're right, though I've always regarded East Croydon as the end of the SE rail lines. However, a ticket from Coulsdon South is the same as one from EC (for the journey time I looked at).

Plus, doesn't the train have to stop there in order to use a ticket from there? Or is that only if you have two separate tickets?

9. Re: Victoria/Gatwick twice the price of Victoria/Brighton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2014, 06:20