We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

International travel rates from www.bahn.de

San Diego...
3 posts
Save Topic
International travel rates from www.bahn.de

Hi,

I am traveling to Munich for work in March, and am planning to take a vacation afterward.

After researching trains in Europe, I came across the www.bahn.de website. I am looking to book a train from Munich to Geneva to Barcelona. The website seems to be great, but for some reason I can't access how much the train fare costs.

The website allows me to proceed to check out but states, "Information about fares not possible" in the price column.

Does anyone know how to access how much the fare would cost?

Thanks,

Nathan

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,073 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: International travel rates from www.bahn.de

The web site you are looking at is run by the German railways, and in general sells tickets only for the trains that it runs. You can book from Munich to Geneva with DB Bahn, but from Geneva to Barcelona you have to book with the French train operator, SNCF.

Depending on how far ahead you book, Geneva-Barcelona will cost between €75 and €158. See en.vboyages-sncf.com/en using Antarctic Antarctic at the "Ticket collection country" to avoid being transferred to RailEurope USA, which has higher prices and does not list all the trains.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,635 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: International travel rates from www.bahn.de

Slight correction, the website should be en.voyages-sncf.com/en

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,073 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: International travel rates from www.bahn.de

Thanks. I should always cut-and-paste rather than typing!

San Diego...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: International travel rates from www.bahn.de

Thank you for your reply, but what is the ticket collection company selection for? Is there any harm in putting Antarctic instead of USA?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,635 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: International travel rates from www.bahn.de

The selection is used so that the website does not redirect you to the more expensive Rail Europe USA.

There is a huge difference between prices purchased from your US site than purchasing directly from the SNCF site.

Quainton, United...
Level Contributor
7,701 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: International travel rates from www.bahn.de

Hi Nathan - I've just answered your email, I think

For the benefit of anyone else, the problem is that on bahn.de/en you need to enter the French word 'Geneve' and select plain old 'Geneve' for Geneva main station.

If you select anything else, you may end up with a journey to some Geneva tram stop for which bahn.de can't ticket the tram, so shows no fare throughout. If you run with plain 'Geneve' you'll see loads of journeys shown with fares from €39.

I've given up recommending voyages-sncf.com and having to arm people with various instructions to avoid being diverted to Rail Europe (then raising concerns about whether it's OK to select 'Afghanistan' as your country, and having to address those).

I just suggest www.capitainetrain.com now, in this case for the Geneva to Barcelona bit. It saves me a lot of warnings and explanations! It doesn't ask where you live. Why should it? It shows the train, happily accepts overseas cards, and issues a print-at-home e-ticket, so where you live is totally irrelevant.

SNCF take note!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,073 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: International travel rates from www.bahn.de

>>what is the ticket collection company selection for<<

Its only purpose is to decide whether or not to redirect a user to RailEurope. It has absolutely no effect on the rest of the booking service.

Think about it. Would I recommend this action if it caused problems?

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,181 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: International travel rates from www.bahn.de

"I just suggest www.capitainetrain.com now, in this case for the Geneva to Barcelona bit. It saves me a lot of warnings and explanations! It doesn't ask where you live. Why should it? It shows the train, happily accepts overseas cards, and issues a print-at-home e-ticket, so where you live is totally irrelevant. "

Hmm - that looks interesting. I'll have to have a closer look at that site.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,692 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: International travel rates from www.bahn.de

>>what is the ticket collection company selection for<<

It's ticketing country. In a lot of countries, selecting the one you live in (such as in the US), redirects you to RailEurope. Rail Europe is owned by SNCF, but does not always show the lowest prices nor full availability. Therefore it's best tio enter Antartica as the ticketing country.

Have not checked out the capitainetrain site yet so can't say anything about it. However, I've seen it mentioned several times on this site.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: International travel rates from www.bahn.de

Nathan, what dates are you looking to travel?

From reading your post it would seem that, as you're starting work in March, you'll be taking these trips sometime after that. This may be where you're coming unstuck, as tickets for most of Europe don't go on sale until 90 days before your travel date.