We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Senior rates in Eurpoe HS Trains

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
365 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Senior rates in Eurpoe HS Trains

Hi,

To be eligible for the senior rate, do you have to be EU citizen, or something? Can anybody 60+ have this rate whatever her nationality is?

surrey, england
Level Contributor
5,834 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Senior rates in Eurpoe HS Trains

i don't know whether the fare quoted is the full price flexible fare or not, maybe you can check it out. i travelled a few times on the madrid to santiago de compostela route or vice versa, and i paid 32.50 euros (web ticket is 54.20) which is a 40% discount on a monday trip. this was from madrid to santiago de compostela. i don't believed the web price is the full price flexible ticket.

one thing i like about the carta dorada is that you can buy your ticket at the last minute and still get the discount. also the same as the cercanias.

surrey, england
Level Contributor
5,834 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Senior rates in Eurpoe HS Trains

no, you do not have to be an eu citizen. anyone over the age of 60 is eligible to buy the carta dorada which is valid for 1 year.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
22,271 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Senior rates in Eurpoe HS Trains

The Terms & Conds for the Tarjeta Dorada card for use by over 60s in Spain is here :

renfe.com/EN/…tarjeta_dorada.html

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
9,230 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Senior rates in Eurpoe HS Trains

I've scoured their terms and conditions too, but it doesn't specify where the discount is off any fare including promo fares, or only off the full-price on one of those 'cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer' get-out clauses.

I'd do a test booking at renfe.com to prove it one way or the other, but without a genuine Carta Dorada number it won't even let me get as far as seeing a discounted fare.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
22,271 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Senior rates in Eurpoe HS Trains

Mark. I have a Tarjeta Dorada card (note it is commonly called Tarjeta not Carta in Spain) and the discount is available on the full price ticket fare. As I mentioned earlier there are many different train routes in Spain where you just do not benefit from any special Promo type fares. Such as the local CERCANIAS trains or routes like Seville to Granada using Media Distancia. As for getting two discounts on the full fare by using Promo plus a Tarjeta Dorada card the RENFE T&Cs stipulate at the foot of the page : This discount cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer, except where specified in the terms and conditions.

So basically it depends how you travel and where you travel on trains in Spain. I find the Tarjeta Dorada card very useful for the small outlay of €5.15 and the several journeys that I may complete on Spanish trains.

surrey, england
Level Contributor
5,834 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Senior rates in Eurpoe HS Trains

please note i have been doing some research on the advantage of the senior discount on renfe trains.

the tarjeta dorada on ticket discount is not always cheaper. it is also not necessarily cheaper if you buy the ticket at the last minute. i have checked a sample booking for february from madrid to santiago de compostela.

the ticket price on the online internet mentions internet price. i am not sure whether the internet price is the full price or what.

for this particular date, the cheapest one way second class fare is only 16.25 euros, this is a ticket bought on promo (use it or lost it);

the next cheapest is promo+ changeable with penalty which cost 18.95 euros;

with booking for 4 pax on seats facing each other, the fare is 21.70 euros each.

the most expensive ticket is flexible and costs 54.20 euros.

in comparison, the ticket with the senior discount still costs 32.50 euros.

even first class fares with this particular booking are as follows: 21.15 euros, 24.70 euros, 28.20 euros, 70.50 euros respectively.

with senior discount, the fare is 42.30 euros.

so be very careful when booking a renfe ticket. try to compare a ticket with or without a senior discount. also please note if there are no promotions going on, it will be cheaper to use your tarjeta dorada. it is best to go directly to renfe website. because i don't think a travel agent will list all the possible discounts. i do not know whether these promotions are on now because of the holiday season or because it is low season. i do know train travel is the main stream of transportation, apart from buses, for the spaniards.

actually if there are promotional fares going on, the senior price is not posted anywhere as it is much too expensive as compared to all the others. only if there are no promotion going on is where you cn click on the box for tarjeta dorada. and this discounted fare will definitely be cheaper. i have no experience in comparing advance purchase with current online purchasing.

Edited: 21 December 2013, 10:37
Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
9,230 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Senior rates in Eurpoe HS Trains

Thanks for that.

So just doing the maths, the Carta Dorada senior fare is a 40% discount off the full-price flexible fare. Handy if you need to travel at short notice, when full-price is the only fare available.

But without a Carta Dorada, you can get a 70% or 65% discount off the flexible fare simply by buying an advance-purchase promo or promo+ online at renfe.com.

One of life's lessons. When percentages are mentioned, especially when it's a 'discount' always ask "% of what?"!

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
31,562 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Senior rates in Eurpoe HS Trains

For comparison, the Italian seniors card (Carta d'Argento - Silver Card) gives only 15% percent off and only off the full fares on trains with reserved seats. It is therefore rarely worth buying for foreign tourists for the reasons already given for the Spanish card, but even less so as you'd have to spend the equivalent of more than €200 on full price Base fares before you get your money back on savings.

See www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

19. Re: Senior rates in Eurpoe HS Trains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 December 2014, 05:16